Author Topic: Weather and Bonneville  (Read 491 times)

Offline rockracer

Weather and Bonneville
« on: February 11, 2024, 02:43:14 PM »
I really like filming lightning and while doing some editing going back over older videos . I started to notice a pattern. Usually dry up until the start of August.
My 1st lightning video was Aug-4-19
https://youtu.be/liY_PSQFZwU?si=vu7G9_OH0Fn9LiLI
2nd.
Aug 1st 22
https://youtu.be/byfXwXnEseA?si=1JGEqxc9a9LAF2QM
3rd.
 August 3rd 2023 (lightning lasted an hour+)
https://youtu.be/Ml-Xb6P2rx4?si=cwJ3w2w7pzEQvcvv

Anybody have a list of all the "rainouts" at Bonneville.  Would be interesting to see . It seems a earlier date could be drier.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:48:54 PM by rockracer »

Offline gnomenator

Re: Weather and Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:13:24 PM »
Along the same lines, I have been monitoring BV weather and it LOOKS like it has had about the same weather that we have had this winter in Montana. Hardly any snow and very little rain. So a question for the 'salt experienced' folks- is this good or bad for a good year of salt? Thanks and keeping fingers x'ed ! Definitely will make T&T if it happens, too long without a little salt in the veins!  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 08:43:20 PM »
I have followed it for a few years now.  I do not see a pattern.  About the time you think maybe you understand and think you can predict what the salt will be like, you get fooled.  The only thing you can count on is that the SCTA will be telling us it is the best salt ever during the time just before Speedweek
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 10:57:16 PM »
I have followed it for a few years now.  I do not see a pattern.  About the time you think maybe you understand and think you can predict what the salt will be like, you get fooled.  The only thing you can count on is that the SCTA will be telling us it is the best salt ever during the time just before Speedweek
Yep & Yep! :-D
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 10:33:45 AM »
Well I can tell you that the salt can't stand as much moisture now as it could in the 80s.  82 and 83 were rainout years... Oh enough rain that I80 and the railroad tracks by the lake were under water.  There have been several SpeedWeeks that have had rain and we still raced.  20 and 21 were drought years... with the salt as thin as it is now drought is good for racing... the strip miners need water
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O