Author Topic: Heated wipers  (Read 502 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Heated wipers
« on: January 21, 2024, 12:38:20 PM »
My '21 GMC Canyon's windshield wipers ice up WAY more than is acceptable to me.  The issue is magnified by the slush/snow that the wipers sweep down into the trough where they rest freezing onto the blades.  I've seldom had a vehicle where it's this severe.  No matter how I run the defrosting system - the stuff won't go away by itself, and even if I stop to clean it all off - - it's a crappy-visibility mess again within minutes.

For years I used the blades that have a rubber boot covering everything but the squeegee itself, but I can't find 'em any more.  I don't think they'd withstand the slop in the troughs, but maybe...  Anybody got a source?

I'll put in heated blades to solve the issue, but since they're about $200 a set I'll ask for ideas, suggestions, or advice from youse guys.  I'll consider a heater/heated strip/something permanently installed in the "trough", too.  That'd be a good way to reduce the problem, I betcha.  Whaddaya think?

By the way, the Canyon is frickin' OUTSTANDING in snow.  I've had more 4WD trucks than most of you and have driven in more snow than most of you so that's not an idle brag.  We had a foot and a half or so last weekend, for instance, and I drove in it out to our barn and woodshed without plowing or shoveling or anything.  I hardly believed it as I bogged a little but didn't get stuck or even in trouble.  In 23 years of trying to get out there in funky conditions - this is unheard of.

All I can figure out is that this is the first set of Blkizzaks I've had on a truck.  That's all we've had on Nancy's cars,  but they weren't available in LT-ratings.  I've used Winterforce, and they were good, but these are WoW! good.  They were about $1150, which is a coupla hundred bucks of "brand premium", but dang do they make for confident driving for me.

Caveat Emptor, which is sorta another way of saying:  YMMV!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Heated wipers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 04:13:28 PM »
Had to Google.... yep there is such a thing....  thank God I don't live in a place where those are even considered...  :cheers:

Yep that means I don't own a set of snow tires either... I do have a 4WD pickup... and if it gets stuck or won't move, that's when I put it in 4WD.  Yes I've used it on my road and in my driveway.... This year the drifts were 2-3 ft, I am lucky one of my neighbors cleared mine when he did his... probably because it was my turn to drive to lunch  :laugh: 
When I had an older neighbor across the street, I would borrow his tractor and do his, his sister's and mine... but it's been a half dozen years since it snowed that much. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 11:43:35 PM »
I've been doing 24/7 road service for truckers here in Idaho & Wyoming for 23yrs now & I'm out in big snow & temps down to -30c & can honestly say I've never really had an issue with frozen wipers. I don't go out below -30c since that is the point that I can't keep my hands warm enough to function. There has been times when a blizzard was so bad that even my big amber driving lights couldn't see through the snow & I couldn't work out where the road was but with the windshield nice & warm, not a problem on my Chevy's. I did run a Cummins for one winter that had a horrible demister & heat system, I got rid of that thing when summer came around & went back to a Chevy. My service truck lives outside & I stand the wipers up so they don't freeze to the glass & have to knock off the snow & scrape the ice before I can leave which kinda sucks in the middle of the night! I've never had the Chevy gel-up but the Cummins did a few times.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:20:47 AM »
They're made up here, but I'm still surprised that few folks have heard of heated blades.  They're $150 and above, so I'll get more details before I purchase - - but I think they'll help.  I'm not sure that you and I are on the same page, Sid - - wipers clogged with ice is so danged common.  They're not frozen and immovable - they're just coated with ice and don't clear - but rather smear.  I've never had a vehicle where this didn't happen.

https://www.everblades.com/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:24:55 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 07:38:57 AM »
Answer:  Move to Florida.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 08:33:50 AM »
Not in this lifetime, Ransom.  That state is uninhabitable if you ask me.

This firm is up here in the U P.  I'll get a set and letcha know how they work.

https://www.everblades.com/about-us/
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com