Author Topic: LTA 2024  (Read 2961 times)

Offline 55chevr

LTA 2024
« on: January 06, 2024, 09:42:24 AM »
2009 Maine Event. In the pit area we see team Murphy-Slattery Racing's entry number 548 Ford Mustang. Driven by William Murphy to a record speed of 129.772 mph in class F/CBGC (3 Liter/Classic Blown Gas Coupe). Bill set this record at the Inaugural Loring Timing Association event with this small motor 1966 Fastback Mustang and it still stands.

Offline aircap

Re: LTA 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:54:39 PM »
So you're saying someone should come and break it, right?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 01:06:21 PM »
I took it to mean that it was a strong record to break, not disparaging its length of having it.

(For example, my buddy Steve Batchelor's C/Classic Fuel Altered records of Bonneville at 243 and El Mirage at 213, both set in 1992, ain't an easy thing to surpass, now 30+ years in the book.  Looking at the B and D records in those categories will confirm that.  The El Mirage record surpasses both the A and B records.)

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 08:36:28 PM »
  I would think that some of the 2JZ-engines and such could explode that record but not a lot of folks pursuing smaller displacement records.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 01:37:52 PM »
2015 Spring Event. In the hot box ready to run we see team Victory Racing's number 1707 streamliner. Driven by Burt Brown to a record speed of 163.161 mph in class G/GS (2 Liter/Gas Streamliner). Burt had transmission shifting problems and never got a full clean run with this 122 cubic inch streamliner. If I recall correctly, they locked it into 3rd gear and made a pass without shifting to get the speed. As sleek as the aero is on this car the speed potential is almost limitless. Stacy Robey photo.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 04:56:35 PM »
It's had a Mercedes OM606 diesel in it for a while & last ran it in 2017 at WOS & set a soft FD/S record of 212. It had a healthy 300+ pass in it but the salt was so rough I could see daylight under the tires after it came off the push truck so we decided to call it like so many others did at that meet.
Burton is so busy with his business that it is on the back burner for a while.
  Sid.   

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 05:34:53 PM »
Thanx to both the former posters -- I look forward to every one of them.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 08:27:31 AM »
I was wondering where it went.   Seemed to disappear after running at Loring.   This crew worked their butts off to get a run in.   I agree that 300 is well within the potential for this streamliner.   Would love to see it run.  Burt and his crew were the most patient bunch I have ever seen when nothing was working right.

Joe

Offline aircap

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 11:48:09 PM »
That body looks like it owes Jack Costella a tip of the fedora.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 12:41:50 AM »
 There certainly is a connection there, it was built by Jack's cousin for somebody else. Names elude but the guy who owned it lived in Boise & passed away without finishing it. His wife put it on Ebay for sale & that's where Burton found it, it was an unfinished roller body & chassis. Dan Warner put Burton in touch with me here in Idaho to see it I could help since Burton is in Wisconsin. A long story short, Burton flew out to SLC, got the shuttle to BFE-nowhere I-15 Idaho where I picked him up at 2AM in a snow storm. That's a story in it's self & was the first time we'd met. Next day we took my truck & liner trailer to Boise & loaded it up. It spent the next year & a half in my friends hangar here in Lava before he finally got to take it home.
 I spent better than 24hrs in a truck with Burton in September last year towing the Salt Cat Jag from Wisconsin to the Blytheville ECTA meet, it's now owned by Marty Schimke who also has a Buick straight 8 lakester & we ran both cars there. Burton is so busy with his business he spent 10hrs of the 12hr return trip on his laptop & phone.
  Me! I brought home my 3rd dose of the China virus. muutt
  Sid.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 05:37:26 AM »
Sid,
The amount of work that went into the engine installation on that car was extraordinary. Burton said he has over 3000 hours in the mechanical work and I don't doubt it. His crew worked non-stop for days at Loring, which I am guessing was the first time out for the streamliner.   They encountered just about every issue possible and never lost focus.  When it wouldn't shift. They locked into 3rd gear and pushed it off to get a run in. 

Joe

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 11:23:19 PM »
Yeah he had lots of time & money in that combo trying to get it to work & fixing breakages & he didn't even own it. The junkyard Mercedes diesel he has in there now was a step in the right direction.
  Sid.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 08:09:06 PM »
2016 Maine Event. In the hot box preparing to launch we see Connecticut team "Ron's Hobby Shop" entry 8150.  Driven by Ron San Giovanni Jr to a record speed of 179.483 mph in class XF/BFRMR (Flathead Ford/Blown Fuel Rear Engine Modified Roadster).  In Stacy Robey's photo, we see Steve Van Blarcom and Ron San Giovanni Sr assisting Jr with the belts and canopy.  This belly tank nosed / roadster rear end car has set a huge number of records at Loring, Maxton and Bonneville using a variety of flathead Ford engines.  Ron San Giovanni is the renowned expert on competition built flathead Ford engines

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2024, 06:29:59 PM »
. . . and Ardun hemi-headed flathead Ford and Mercury engines.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 03:04:58 PM »
2016 Maine Event. In the hot box preparing to launch we see Connecticut team "Ron's Hobby Shop" entry 8150.  Driven by Ron San Giovanni Jr to a record speed of 179.483 mph in class XF/BFRMR (Flathead Ford/Blown Fuel Rear Engine Modified Roadster).  In Stacy Robey's photo, we see Steve Van Blarcom and Ron San Giovanni Sr assisting Jr with the belts and canopy.  This belly tank nosed / roadster rear end car has set a huge number of records at Loring, Maxton and Bonneville using a variety of flathead Ford engines.  Ron San Giovanni is the renowned expert on competition built flathead Ford engines

Great memories 2016 was our first year heading West to Speedweek. The tune up we worked on at Loring helped us establish two very fast records on the salt. By 2017 with our race ARDUN in the car my son and I both entered the 200 MPH club at Bonneville. The time spent running at Loring each year is a big part of our success.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"