Author Topic: Tires Question  (Read 984 times)

Offline 71GSSDemon

Tires Question
« on: November 30, 2023, 07:34:46 AM »
I see many claim to be running Front Runner drag racing style tires on all 4 corners.  If you are, are you using standard drag racing fronts or the specific Goodyear Eagle Land Speed Tires 2956?  The land speed tires, I assume, are more geared around streamliners and not 200mph cars?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Tires Question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 10:08:30 AM »
There are multiple cars running "front runners" from various manufacturers on all corners.  The choice to do that should be made with consideration to speed and weight.  Look at the tire requirements.... for over 200 you must have a racing purposes tire... front runners meet that requirement.  LSR tires are expensive... most are rated to 300-350 and run a lot faster. 
All racing is done at your own risk...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 08:50:36 AM »
Thank you sir.  The car I am building is also a street car so there will need to be 2 sets of wheels/tires as I am using wheels from a Shelby GT500.  They are alloy, 10" wide.  Although OEM Ford, I don't think they can be used as they aren't OEM to my Charger.  I hate having much being done multiple times, but for a 2nd set, I just need to sort out what to keep eyes open for.

I don't believe the Shelby or factory steel wheels (welded 360 degrees) will accept a 5/8" lug stud but then the hub likely wont either.  IIRC, 200mph is the need for 5/8 studs?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 10:25:03 AM by 71GSSDemon »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 11:46:02 AM »
Thank you sir.  The car I am building is also a street car so there will need to be 2 sets of wheels/tires as I am using wheels from a Shelby GT500.  They are alloy, 10" wide.  Although OEM Ford, I don't think they can be used as they aren't OEM to my Charger.  I hate having much being done multiple times, but for a 2nd set, I just need to sort out what to keep eyes open for.

I don't believe the Shelby or factory steel wheels (welded 360 degrees) will accept a 5/8" lug stud but then the hub likely wont either.  IIRC, 200mph is the need for 5/8 studs?

Bassett has fully welded steel wheels in various widths and offsets. Try calling them.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 12:17:57 PM »

Just checked my rule book.
1/2 inch studs for any of the following:

- all >200 mph classes
- tires 29" or over
- wheels 17" or over

5/8 is the length of stud that must be engaged.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 06:55:24 PM »
You really need to get a rule book...  :dhorse:
or read it more....  :deal  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 09:24:09 PM »
10" wheels strike me as a bit wide for a front runner.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 04:30:00 PM »
You really need to get a rule book...  :dhorse:
or read it more....  :deal  :cheers:

I do have a new rule book, thank you for pointing out that I need to go back and reread.

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 04:31:53 PM »
10" wheels strike me as a bit wide for a front runner.

Yes, 10" wheels are far too wide for front runners.  I was commenting the rule about no tires 10" wide, so my need for narrower wheels/tires no matter the speed.  So, I was asking about the use of front runners on all corners.

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 04:44:24 PM »
Sorry, so it appears I was confused on the 5/8" requirement and very unclear in my question due to it. I have read through this section several times and apparently misunderstood it each time.  I thought it read the wheel stud diameter needed to be 5/8 for classes with records >200mph. 

Thank you for the clarification.