Author Topic: national anthem  (Read 1352 times)

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
national anthem
« on: November 12, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
just watched at el mirage this morning the national anthem played . only saw one person standing with his hand over his heart , all else hands in pockets .   proper etiquette --- stand facing the flag -- hats off -- right hand over your heart -- and  yesterday was Veterans Day

Offline tortoise

Re: national anthem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 12:26:46 PM »
Actually, it's not just etiquette, it's The Law. It calls for military personnel and veterans to give a military salute. (If in uniform, you are to hold the salute all the way through the song.) So if you're a vet, you were out of compliance as well.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »
Not offering any excuses for not taking your hat off or putting your hand over your heart. Especially if you hear it playing.  Sometimes El Mirage can be like the wild west. I will just leave it at that. I was guilty once of not hearing the anthem at El Mirage and someone yelled at me that it was playing, so I took my hat off, looked in the direction of the announcers stand until it was finished.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 03:43:07 PM »
Actually, it's not just etiquette, it's The Law. It calls for military personnel and veterans to give a military salute. (If in uniform, you are to hold the salute all the way through the song.) So if you're a vet, you were out of compliance as well.

During my ETS briefing at Ft Dix in '63, we were informed that we had the option of removing out headgear, standing at attention ans placing our hand over our hearts like a civilian OR giving a proper military salute.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 05:00:51 PM »
You're right. The law says "may", not "must". Historically, for most of the 20th century, most people just stood at attention, and the hand on heart thing was just for the pledge of allegiance. The change came after 9/11. In any event, the first amendment makes participation in our national religion of flag-worship optional.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 05:18:04 PM »
very sad...time is changing...

whenever I'm on the salt and the USA national anthem is playing....

I got my fedora down and the hand on the heart

just for the respect to the country which allowed me to stay as a guest....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 06:40:43 PM »
I got my fedora down and the hand on the heart
The fedora or other headdress should be held "at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart".

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 01:59:20 PM »
Well I was there, so I did not see it on video. But both Saturday and Sunday morning, there was both a very nice prayer and I would say more people than not had their hands over hearts.
It was also 26 degrees outside.
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »
Sad times for sure. When an individual who caused an insurrection is still positioning to lead this great country again and many look forward to that taking place its a wonder theirs a lack of respect for this country's anthem, veterans and military.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline tortoise

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »
The fedora or other headdress should be held "at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart".
I just watched the video. Several hats over heart, overall very respectful. I think bob and I both are wasting our attention on a big nothing.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
Sad times for sure. When an individual who caused an insurrection is still positioning to lead this great country again and many look forward to that taking place its a wonder theirs a lack of respect for this country's anthem, veterans and military.

What is your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid?   :-D

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »

Probably not orange.   :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »

Probably not orange.   :-D

:-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2023, 08:53:22 PM »

:cheers:

Offline 1leg

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 10:38:29 AM »
It was also 28 degree.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17