Author Topic: Mike Cook  (Read 5469 times)

Online gnomenator

Mike Cook passing?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 03:30:29 PM »
Just saw on a Facebook post that Mike Cook has passed away :-( Anybody else have this info? If true, that really sucks!

Online gnomenator

Re: Mike Cook passing?
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 03:43:55 PM »
Yup, just saw all the posts on the HWP post on here. What a bummer! :-(

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Mike Cook
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 06:58:46 PM »
RIP MIKE !  very seldom is a son of a famous ICON as well know as his dad,  but Mike is and deservedly so !   It was a truck tailgate.  he got a sever head injury and I got a whole lot of blood and a bad headache and a few stitches!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:00:40 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 08:10:19 PM »
RIP MIKE !  very seldom is a son of a famous ICON as well know as his dad,  but Mike is and deservedly so !   It was a truck tailgate.  he got a sever head injury and I got a whole lot of blood and a bad headache and a few stitches!

Can someone please tell me what happened?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 12:25:25 PM »
Neil, the head injury was almost 5 years ago, but I don't think Mike ever fully recovered from that incident.  He is and always will be remembered for being fast, friendly and a major influence in LandSpeed Racing around the world.  Not only was he involved in multiple cars over the years, he was the Shootout promoter that brought the FIA and FIM back to Bonneville and to Bolivia.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
Neil, the head injury was almost 5 years ago, but I don't think Mike ever fully recovered from that incident.  He is and always will be remembered for being fast, friendly and a major influence in LandSpeed Racing around the world.  Not only was he involved in multiple cars over the years, he was the Shootout promoter that brought the FIA and FIM back to Bonneville and to Bolivia.

Thanks, Bob... but how did he get that head injury?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 11:31:42 PM »
Neil, Mike told me he put the tailgate up on his truck and was plugging in a trailer hitch when the tailgate fell and knocked him out.  This happened late 2017 to early 2018 before Bolivia (July).  He told me his head hurt and he had trouble remembering things.  Most of the time in Bolivia he was just fine, but occasionally a little off kilter... Move on to Speedweek 2020 I think, saw Mike and asked how he was doing.  He said fine, but I wasn't certain he knew who I was... later in the week he came up and told me he knew he knew me, but couldn't remember my name till after we talked. 
I don't know if this accident led to his demise, but I know it distracted from his life and plan.
GodSpeed Mike... I'll bet with all the racers that preceded that you are organizing one hell of a race!!!
Stainless

Offline jww36

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 12:07:01 AM »
This post from Mike Jr. has always stood out in my mind. As a metal fabricator who has done a fair amount of welding speaks volumes to the kind of guy Mike Sr. was.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »
Neil, Mike told me he put the tailgate up on his truck and was plugging in a trailer hitch when the tailgate fell and knocked him out.  This happened late 2017 to early 2018 before Bolivia (July).  He told me his head hurt and he had trouble remembering things.  Most of the time in Bolivia he was just fine, but occasionally a little off kilter... Move on to Speedweek 2020 I think, saw Mike and asked how he was doing.  He said fine, but I wasn't certain he knew who I was... later in the week he came up and told me he knew he knew me, but couldn't remember my name till after we talked. 
I don't know if this accident led to his demise, but I know it distracted from his life and plan.
GodSpeed Mike... I'll bet with all the racers that preceded that you are organizing one hell of a race!!!

Thanks for that clarification, Bob. That sounds like something that happened to the daughter if a fiance of mine in the mid-90s. She was in a car accident and hit her head, causing a severe concussion. The symptoms sound the same. RIP, Mike.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2023, 02:46:19 PM »
Whenever I think of Mike this is what I'll see!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2023, 12:23:50 AM »
Thanks Woody... that's the Mike I remember as well... always a smile for a friend...
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2023, 05:55:06 AM »
I visited with him at El M in 19 and we were visiting and and exactly the same thing he said he knew that he knew me but had trouble remembering names name since his accident with the tailgate.  WOW I said had almost the exact same thing happen to me but mine produced a scalp wound and a lot of blood but went to my dermatologist because I remembered that his PA was an Army medic and has sewn up lots of folks..Sure enough he whipped me in and out in less that 10 minutes with 7 stitches, and a shaved spot on side of my head.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline datadoc

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 09:58:38 PM »
Does anyone know when and where Mike Cook's service will be?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 03:13:27 AM »

RIP.🙏🏻✝

Offline jl222

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 03:44:46 PM »

1st time I saw Mike he was getting into a fuel coupe [around 1987] and saying ''I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED''
AND he took off like a bat out of Hell.  WOW

God Speed Mike

jl222