Author Topic: Air Exhauster Vents  (Read 932 times)

Offline 71GSSDemon

Air Exhauster Vents
« on: October 06, 2023, 10:49:38 AM »
Has anyone out here tested any aero advantages of functional fender scoops of a wing car (Dodge Charger Daytona or Plymouth Superbird) on a C500 (Dodge Charger 500) or similar body style?  I am not sure I have seen a C500 with the scoops added despite wrong for the car.  I am curious if it would help with the frontal area.  Or would a more modern style side/fender duct work better?

Offline Leadfoot

Re: Air Exhauster Vents
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 08:06:44 PM »
Following

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »
Are these what you call "fender scoops"?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 08:31:23 AM »
I'm not sure what you are actually talking about but you mention an Aero advantage. Any such device, depending, may fall under rule 4.A, 4.C or 4.CC and then depending on category/class, particularly production, be deemed illegal. Have to read the rules carefully on this.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline gowing

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »
The winged Charger Daytona's had scoops on top of the front fenders right over the tires.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 01:17:42 PM »
A stock part on one car doesn't mean it's ok for another....The SCTA is not your local circle track
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 02:04:25 PM »
A stock part on one car doesn't mean it's ok for another....The SCTA is not your local circle track
Agree, if you add it, as opposed to coming stock, it likely would attract attention. And this will not be commented on in safety inspection but in impound. Sticklers sometimes. I once got kicked out of impound because there was not a bulb (which would need safety film to be legal) under a fold down headlight that had no bulb exposed to the outside.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 11:32:31 AM »
Thank you to all replied.  Yes those are the fender vents in theory.  As mentioned the Charger Daytona had reverse facing fender scoops.  I was wondering if anyone had tried them with the blunt nose of a C500.  The Daytona is said to get a 3% increase in aero.  I understand it may not be legal in certain classes.  More curiosity.  I have seen where hood and fender venting helps a great deal, placement seems less important that I thought.  Suppose that depends on the MPH being discussed.  I have no reasonable thoughts of breaking a record if I ever even make it out there. The record is in the 260mph range. Since being young, I have wanted a 200mph club membership, but with needs of breaking a record, it is not possible. More of a general Aero question.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:36:39 AM by 71GSSDemon »

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 12:37:53 PM »
Thank you to all replied.  Yes those are the fender vents in theory.  As mentioned the Charger Daytona had reverse facing fender scoops.  I was wondering if anyone had tried them with the blunt nose of a C500.  The Daytona is said to get a 3% increase in aero.  I understand it may not be legal in certain classes.  More curiosity.  I have seen where hood and fender venting helps a great deal, placement seems less important that I thought.  Suppose that depends on the MPH being discussed.  I have no reasonable thoughts of breaking a record if I ever even make it out there. The record is in the 260mph range. Since being young, I have wanted a 200mph club membership, but with needs of breaking a record, it is not possible. More of a general Aero question.

My car is in Modified Sports so this is legal. This photo is my left front fender, looking forward. Like the McLaren from which it was derived, the fender vents are molded into the fiberglass. My friend, John Horsman, (GT40, John Wyer Racing, etc) suggested adding one more vent forward to improve air flow. One important function of these vents is to reduce the negative pressure on the tops of the front fenders, reducing front end lift at high speed.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »

My car is in Modified Sports so this is legal. This photo is my left front fender, looking forward. Like the McLaren from which it was derived, the fender vents are molded into the fiberglass. My friend, John Horsman, (GT40, John Wyer Racing, etc) suggested adding one more vent forward to improve air flow. One important function of these vents is to reduce the negative pressure on the tops of the front fenders, reducing front end lift at high speed.

Thank you for the info.  This is what I have been reading also.  So, my Charger is under construction and I am looking for all that can be done to make is slicker.  Low lift, high downforce without adding tons of drag.  I built a tube chassis for it, so I would be in a modified catagory if I was ever able to race it anyway so there are more options. 

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 02:23:52 PM »

1979 - 1981 Camaro Z/28 use front fender vents

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
Thanks, that would be an option.  I assume there is a formula to size the scoop/vent based on tire and fenderwell size.