Author Topic: historic writer knows better...  (Read 530 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
historic writer knows better...
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
it looks, that the current problem we have at the salt....too much water....was a issue 60 years ago, too

according to a writer of an article about Craig Breedlove's record on the 7 August 1963...means...60 years ago...when he set the first 400 mph record....

believing in his note, Donald Campbell run his jet boat K7 at the Bonneville salt flats.....

the story behind that photo...it shows Donald Campbell K7 in 1966/67 during his attempt at a British lake....on the 4th January 1967 a fatal incident ends this attempt....

well, the writer was talking about the CN7 in his further note...but it seems he had no idea how this turbine car, which Donald used on an Australian lake bed in 1963/64, looks really

this article is just published in a very well known, worldwide published, motorsports magazine....

and we, the reader has to believe.... muutt

Well, we know now that they had other solutions to use the Bonneville salt flats some 60 years ago...... :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: historic writer knows better...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 01:17:59 PM »
I there was enough water we could run boats. I have a vintage 1961 Hamilton Jet boat with a 383 Chevy, a three stage Hamilton jet pump & a Berkley nozzle.  I'm thinking B / Gas Vintage Altered Jet Boat! :-D
I've also have a 1959 aluminum (Tinny) with a Mercury 135 tower of power that has a jet foot.
Who else has a hot rod floaty? :naughty
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 01:51:45 PM »
on one of my visits at the late Art Arfons place,

Art and I talked about a current project he had...

he was just building a app. 14 feet long boat....like a supersized jetski....

the power unit

a Tomahawk engine.....

enough power :friday :friday :friday
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline TD

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »
Pork Pie -

I subscribe to that publication and read that piece just a few hours ago (while flying to Salt Lake City, of all places). They got it totally wrong!  As the magazine is, in many ways, a key part of the historical record, the author should be embarrassed, and corrected.

That said, the magazine does publish LSR - though typically Unlimited LSR - content regularly, and for that I am grateful.

Go get 'em...

Tim

Offline TD

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 10:37:25 AM »
I wrote them.  They didn't publish my comment but have removed the pic of the hydroplane.

Tim

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 11:53:16 AM »
Thanks

they allow to write a comment, but in a way which is not acceptable...

I wrote them.  They didn't publish my comment but have removed the pic of the hydroplane.

Tim

Pork Pie