Author Topic: Were you at Bonneville in 1958  (Read 566 times)

Offline melaniewalker

• New folks
Were you at Bonneville in 1958
« on: August 21, 2023, 06:45:35 AM »
Were you or someone you know at the '58 Speed Trials and took photos?

I'm still looking for shots of the black #555 Mickey Thompson car. I have pretty much everything available on line and from period magazines and contacted numerous sources without much luck. I'm looking for close-up pics of the car to determine the sponsor decals on the side.

I know one, (Schiefer clutches),  but can't make out the others. I'd like to do a model of the car. Thanks for any help or leads.

Offline mtkawboy

Re: Were you at Bonneville in 1958
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 01:38:42 PM »
You can look at all the Hot Rod magazines thru the years online and there might be some pictures in the one that had the results of the 58 meet. Worth a look anyway

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »
Grant Piston Rings low on the body just behind the front wheels.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 06:09:13 PM »
The Petersen museum maintains an archive with tons of B-roll shots from almost every event ever, maybe they could help you out.

Offline speedrelic

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 02:15:17 PM »
Hi Melanie, Just curious why you are looking? I have searched for the same info for years. I've scoured every magazine and any other source (including Danny Thompson) I could think of. Contact me through FB or email at mschoss@comcast.net

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »

I was there in 1958 with my twin brother and Leland Viera. 18 yrs old just graduated High school.

Left Santa Barbara in Leland's 1947 4 door chev which burned oil and had a slight knock. filled up with
Pep Boys 50 wt Booster oil, 25cent gas, peanut butter and jam and $30 each. Water pump and generator
replaced on way.
 Lot more to story

Anyhow no camara but remember a cigar shaped motorcycle streamliner hauling ass. 200 +? can't remember. We climbed up the steps of the timing tower for a better view when Joe Pisano flipped his Studebaker right there. Then came over to the tower saying. I hope I didn't tear up the track for you.

Maybe not exact words but close. Hey 65 yrs ago.

Timing tower closer to track in those days.

JL222