Author Topic: A different kind of wheel . . .  (Read 703 times)

Offline tallguy

A different kind of wheel . . .
« on: August 08, 2023, 02:44:15 AM »
Most wheels are mounted on (ball or roller) bearings.  For speeds approaching 1000 mph (whether practical or not), solid
aluminum wheels seem to be the popular choice. 

I have a different approach to this, regarding design.  My idea is to have a thin hoop act as the wheel, rotating about a
hub that doesn't rotate.  Regarding bearings, a "plain bearing" approach would be utilized. Between the wheel and the hub would be a layer of liquid that acts as a lubricant and coolant.
This liquid would be pumped at an impressive rate, as a "total loss" system.  This means that it would leave the vehicle
and be absorbed by the local environment.  The liquid might consist of something like a mixture of cold brine and soap.
It could be colder than 32 degrees F, and slippery.  The amount required might be significant for a land speed attempt,
perhaps in the neighborhood of 50 gallons per run (of about 10 miles or so).  Of course, the chemistry of this mixture
should be relatively friendly to the environment.

The advantage of doing this could be in the design of the wheel.  With less mass rotating, less kinetic energy would need to
be developed in this rotation.  Since a large continuous solid wheel would not be rotating, the strength of the material
should not be problematic.  I envision a wheel made of alloy steel (perhaps alloy 4340 or something similar), perhaps about 1/2" thick.  The (non-rotating) hub could be aluminum, flowing a huge amount of this lubricant.  Yes, a lot of testing would be in order, to prove that this could work.  Yes, it's expensive.  But at least the wheel is not likely to fail due to stress related to the rotational speed.

I imagine a bunch of testing could be done, on vehicles capable of lower speeds (say, starting at about 200 mph).  After
a run, measurements relating to wear could be taken on the wheel.  It's only money, right?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 02:47:50 AM by tallguy »

Offline SpeedRacer93

Re: A different kind of wheel . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 07:27:59 AM »
Nothing can be intentionally "leaked" onto the course.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 01:45:10 PM »
It appears to me that what you are proposing is some sort of "hydrostatic" bearing which is a technology that is used in many large machine tools to provide a very low friction surface for the movement of the machine tool. Machine tools typically use a light oil at a pressure that will "float" the mass of the machine tool. As SpeedRacer93 has said nothing can me leaked onto the course but you might be able to use pressurized air. This would actually be lower friction than a fluid and would not put anything on the course. It would be an interesting design challenge.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 03:53:00 PM »
It appears to me that what you are proposing is some sort of "hydrostatic" bearing which is a technology that is used in many large machine tools to provide a very low friction surface for the movement of the machine tool. Machine tools typically use a light oil at a pressure that will "float" the mass of the machine tool. As SpeedRacer93 has said nothing can me leaked onto the course but you might be able to use pressurized air. This would actually be lower friction than a fluid and would not put anything on the course. It would be an interesting design challenge.

Rex

I thought about air, and also about liquid nitrogen.  It's hard for me to argue that nitrogen would be seen as a harmful
pollutant with regards to the race track or local environment.  And the stuff could certainly help compensate for heat buildup
in the rotating wheel.  Realistically, I don't think I'll ever have a thrust-powered vehicle that needs this kind of ("future"?)
technology.  I conceived of the idea with other folks in mind . . . should their cars ever go so fast that a conventional
solid aluminum rotating wheel isn't up to the task.  Regarding the official "rules" about deliberate leakage, perhaps rules
can be addressed and changed.  Please note that I'm not on a major crusade to change the world of land speed racing, or
to irritate anybody.  I like people who are into LSR.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 08:28:08 PM »

Rex

I thought about air, and also about liquid nitrogen.  It's hard for me to argue that nitrogen would be seen as a harmful
pollutant with regards to the race track or local environment.  And the stuff could certainly help compensate for heat buildup
in the rotating wheel.  Realistically, I don't think I'll ever have a thrust-powered vehicle that needs this kind of ("future"?)
technology.  I conceived of the idea with other folks in mind . . . should their cars ever go so fast that a conventional
solid aluminum rotating wheel isn't up to the task.  Regarding the official "rules" about deliberate leakage, perhaps rules
can be addressed and changed.  Please note that I'm not on a major crusade to change the world of land speed racing, or
to irritate anybody.  I like people who are into LSR.

The movable structure of the 140 foot radio telescope at Green Bank weighs 2700 tons and is suspended on hydrostatic bearings of pressurized oil. The bank of oil pumps in the pedestal look like something on a submarine. I used to build microwave receivers for this telescope.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 12:53:52 PM »
The leak on the course rules are SCTA, BNI and such for Bonneville and I assume dry lakes used by them. None of which such a vehicle would run on. Bolivia maybe or someplace else. Not likely applicable. But small risk of such a vehicle anyway considering. Nice Idea though.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019