Author Topic: Fuel line question  (Read 588 times)

Offline drc42

Fuel line question
« on: July 06, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »
Re-reading the rules today to get ready.  Last time (2019) I ran fire sleeve over normal fuel lines, wasn't a big fan of that so looking for another option.  In the rules it mentions "Aero/quip or equipment fire sleeve".  By "Aero/quip" do they just mean stainless braided covered hose?  Seems rather vague since Aeroquip makes various types of hose out of rubber, stainless and nomex (based on a quick search on summitracing.com).

Am I safe just using any stainless braided fuel line?

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: Fuel line question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
Fire sleeve is different from fuel line.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline drc42

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 06:02:50 PM »
Yes, fire sleeve is not fuel line, but the statement in the rules has an "or" in it.  As I quoted from the rules "Aero/quip or equipment fire sleeve".  My question was clarification on what they mean by "Aero/quip".

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 08:01:11 PM »
Yes, fire sleeve is not fuel line, but the statement in the rules has an "or" in it.  As I quoted from the rules "Aero/quip or equipment fire sleeve".  My question was clarification on what they mean by "Aero/quip".

"Aeroquip" is a brand name. No "/".
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline drc42

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:43:31 PM »

"Aeroquip" is a brand name. No "/".

I know, was directly quoting what is in the rules.  That was a cut+paste directly from the AMA rulebook.  No clue why they spell it that way, or why they are using a brand name there.  That is why I am asking questions.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 12:12:32 AM »
To answer your question, braided stainless lines are accepted. No fire sleeve needed with them. I use AN fittings where I can, but I have also passed inspection with braided lines pushed onto a barbed fitting with a hose clamp.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline drc42

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 10:02:21 AM »
To answer your question, braided stainless lines are accepted. No fire sleeve needed with them. I use AN fittings where I can, but I have also passed inspection with braided lines pushed onto a barbed fitting with a hose clamp.

Don

Much appreciated!  That was my assumption but the wording of the rule really had me wanting to double check.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 05:53:27 PM »
I've been using aeroquip line for the past few years allways passes inspection I bring document sheet just in case it,s questioned
allso approved by Nascar and NHRA. ordered from Summit Racing part# AER-FCU0410 for  AN4   1/4inch. I like that it is very flexible.
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline drc42

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 08:01:12 PM »
I've been using aeroquip line for the past few years allways passes inspection I bring document sheet just in case it,s questioned
allso approved by Nascar and NHRA. ordered from Summit Racing part# AER-FCU0410 for  AN4   1/4inch. I like that it is very flexible.

Just looked that up, I see it is the nomex braided line.  You mention flexible, is it more flexible than the stainless braided stuff?  If so I can see that being worth the extra cost.  I was looking at the summit racing brand braided hose which is about 1/2 the cost but being more flexible certainly would make routing easier.

Thanks for the info.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
I have been using the Aeroquip Startlite Nomex braided hose at both SCTA and AMA events since 1995 and always passed tech. I did get questioned once at a Bub event by an inspector who was unfamiliar with the product (the hose looks very similar to regular cloth braided hose) but he passed it and said bring the box next time. So now I pack the box and the Aeroquip catalog along with my entry paperwork. Never got asked again. Great product BTW and a lot easier than messing with fire sleeve.
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 11:59:26 AM »
This braided Nomex fuel line is made by Aeroquip and one or two other companies. It's good stuff- lightweight, fuel safe, and very flexible. It has been used in NASCAR for years.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ