Author Topic: Production modified motorcycle gas tank question  (Read 647 times)

Offline F-Head

• New folks
    • F-Head
Production modified motorcycle gas tank question
« on: July 06, 2023, 05:45:29 AM »
Hi all. In the motorcycle Modified Production class, must the gas/petrol tank be made from steel as in original type material?
The regs say an aftermarket tank is allowed but does not specify the material. I think I have seen alloy tanks used but are man-made materials such as the HDPE used on modern bikes allowed? Blow molded plastics are lighter and don?t have seams.

I?m not suggesting some old fibreglass unit. It?s a 1960s Triumph but not in a vintage class. Thanks again.

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Production modified motorcycle gas tank question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 07:31:23 AM »
No, rules do not specify material, but tech might ask you to be able to confirm that the material is suitable for use with the fuel you are using and shatter resistant. I know that fuel lines must be marked as suitable for use with fuel.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline MRK

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 12:30:57 PM »
Hi all. In the motorcycle Modified Production class, must the gas/petrol tank be made from steel as in original type material?
The regs say an aftermarket tank is allowed but does not specify the material. I think I have seen alloy tanks used but are man-made materials such as the HDPE used on modern bikes allowed? Blow molded plastics are lighter and don?t have seams.

I?m not suggesting some old fibreglass unit. It?s a 1960s Triumph but not in a vintage class. Thanks again.

May I suggest that you contact an SCTA official that is on a motorcycle committee about what you'd like to know or do. They are listed in Section 16 of the rule book. Start an email string with them. This way you have documentation if questioned. You'll get great advice from the most experienced people on this forum but unless you have documentation from an SCTA official, it won't mean a thing when you get to Impound.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 12:38:55 PM »
I know that fuel lines must be marked as suitable for use with fuel.
Tom

Just to clarify, I believe that rule just pertains to plastic fuel lines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don

Offline F-Head

• New folks
    • F-Head
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 04:11:41 AM »
Thanks for your input guys. And can I ask another question.

How often you get buy / get a new version of the supplemental rules. I?m using a 2019 version, do they change often? Maybe I don?t look in the correct place for updates.
Thanks again.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 11:13:48 AM »
Well that on is really easy... There is a new rule book printed every year.
Only the rules of the current book apply... and yes some things change but generally not drastically every year.  If an incident happened, the rules will likely be adjusted if they can prevent another similar problem.
Buying a $10 rule book or joining the BNI is a small price to pay to be up to date if you think you are going racing.   
I hear this year you can buy a download to get your book instantly
You need to be working from the current rules... oh, lots of records have changed since 2019... you may want to know what you are challenging...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline F-Head

• New folks
    • F-Head
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 12:43:17 PM »
Thanks, I've just downloaded the latest copy.