Author Topic: impound rules  (Read 765 times)

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
impound rules
« on: June 08, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
 As a 1st timer I have the following questions.If I qualify for a record is the impound area at the far end of the track? When do I make a return run? Later that day? If the next day does my bike stay there until the next morning? If my bike has a failure do I turn off the course to the right or left? If I decide to forego impound which way do I turn to return to the pits?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: impound rules
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 10:03:22 AM »
Just a couple of answers- The impound area is Not at the far end of the track. Turnout direction is toward the outside; away from the other course. Use the return road.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline drc42

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 10:29:11 AM »
Impound is next to the pits (about equal distance from either end of the course).  Return run needs to be the same day.  If you can't do it that day you start over again the next day.

For turn out, it depends on if there is something that requires attention, such as something falling off of your bike.  If attention is needed you turn toward the inside (between the 2 courses), stop and wait for assistance.  If it is just a simple bike failure you turn toward the outside and continue on.

There is a required briefing you need to attend before you are allowed to run and they do a really nice job of covering all of this, including bringing everybody down to the start area so you know what to expect.

Welcome to the salt!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:33:53 AM by drc42 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 12:38:55 PM »

BNI/SCTA Boneville meets have not had same day record runs for many years, unless last day of meet,

Go directly to impound. Allowed to work on vehicle for 4 hrs. Vehicle stays in inpound over night.

Record runs ist next morning. Same direction as record no return from end of course for years as course is not as long due to Intrepid slurping up the salt.

JL222 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »
OK all, this is in the BMST section... the bikes return the same day, 2 hours for FIM and 4 for AMA if the rules are the same as 10 years ago. 
It is my opinion, FIM, FIA, AMA, SCTA or BNI... never give back a qualifier unless you are broke and even then you use all your time to try to get it fixed...
As stated earlier, there will be a mandatory riders meeting, they will tell you which way to turn if you have an emergency or think something fell off onto the course...
Welcome to LSR, good luck with your quest  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 09:16:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. Very helpful.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 12:16:35 PM »
It can be a little different scenario every year and thus what you read here about which way and where to turn may not be exactly right for this year's event. At the rookie meeting you actually go out on the mountain course and that really helps to understand the layout.

Impound is right at the start of the pits. So after a normal run you turn out to the return road and take it back all the way to the starting end of the pits. Time slips are in the registration trailer next to impound. At BMST most riders ride their bikes to the course and back rather than being trailered. A short course run is about a 5-6 mile round trip. You end up using a lot of fuel riding out and back and extra fuel weight is not much of a penalty in landspeed, so it's worthwhile filling your tank.

Offline AHG

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 05:46:55 PM »
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line
so might I suggest you go directly to the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials (BMST) website.

https://bonnevillemst.com/

If that is in fact the event you plan to attend their website provides needed information
and or directs you to other avenues as well.

Best of Luck
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles