Author Topic: Rear engine modified roadsters  (Read 8859 times)

Offline GeneF

Rear engine modified roadsters
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:17:01 PM »
As I recall, a couple of yrs. ago when REMRs were being considered as a new class there was some discussion as to their stability
(or lack there of) and need of more classes. Since then several have been built and raced at both the lakes and B'ville. I was just curious if there has been any inherent problems with these cars and does this seem to be a thriving and viable class?

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
Re: Rear engine modified roadsters
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:45:11 PM »
While it is too early to say for sure, my experience is positive.  I have made a single low speed pass at July El Mirage in my roadster since I moved the engine to the rear.   (There were a few tech items that Jim wasn't happy with and it turns out he/they were correct with one of their design concerns.  I since made major chassis changes, but to make a long story short they did let me take a single run to check it out.)   The car ran straight as an arrow with hardy any driving.  To be fair it has almost always been an easy car to drive even with the engine in the front.  It is long and doesn't have much power (flathead) but it is fun.  I think they are here to stay.  I plan to be back in June to see what it can do with a little nitro.   
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:29:21 AM »
One of the problems with the early rear engine modified roadsters was short wheel bases and high ground clearence. IF you look back at old photos you can see this. None had a low CG. They would get sideways and the air got under them and they flew. I spun our at over 200 in 1957 and the two reasons it didn't fly was it was low to the ground,2" and the belly pan was open at the back for the headers to come out. It also let a lot of air into the back of the car aand kept it on the ground.

With todays new rules and longer wheel bases etc. the cars are much more stable. Having weight down low is good. Ron Benhams roadster has a 3/16 steel belly pan for this reason.  :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »
I think George Fields' son has a rear engine roadster. He had it on the short couse the days I was at Speed Week. When I spoke to him the shakedown was slowed by drivetrain stuff, not handling. They were shooting for the minimum of 215, I think.
The car's number was the minium for his class.
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »
I remember reading about the troubles that the rear engine roadsters had back in the mid 50s like Glens, but Glen was lucky as I remember someone got killed. As Glen said, short wheel base and to high a CG plus I'm sure the center of pressure was probably ahead of the CG which makes them "twitchy" too.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline GeneF

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. As a budding gearhead in the early 60s I was quite enamored with the remr's I saw in the car mags. both lsr and dragster. As they faded away I really didn't think they would ever come back. At the 03 W/Fs I saw the red T/O remr that was spearheading the re-birth of the class at the time and my interest was rekindled. Then at the 04 W/Fs I went over to the movie set and saw the vintage remr's and that was a real treat to see them in person. Anyhow I, for one, am glad to see them return, long wheelbase and all, and hope the class keeps growing.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:21:30 AM »
Gene
The rear engine Black Widow roadster that was on display at the WFI starting line was the one I drove in 1957. There is a lot of history to the car as well. It has been driven by Ak Miller, Leroy Neumayer, Jack Stecker and a couple of others. I was the only one that got it to 200 mph. The crank broke in the last mile and locked up the drive train and spun the car. A day I will never forget. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GeneF

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »
I have no doubt going backwards at 200 mph would be a "memorable" expierence  :-D When I saw that car on the movie set I immediatly recognized it as one of my favorites of my youth and was thrilled to see it up close and personal after all those years. It certainly had a racy look.

lsrholder

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »
Glen.... another question, but being a newbie, perhaps it should be under the rules threads.   :?

The maximum w/base for both f & r engined roadsters is 190" for all classes.

Comp coupes have no such maximum   :roll:  and are a much better aero package.

Considering that the roadsters like longer wheelbases, and it wouldn't delete from the asthetic value of an open car, why?  If taken by its merits on safety alone, perhaps it should be considered, to lessen the flip & flop shows.

Then again, maybe i'm missing the entire point of the roadster classes.   

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »
Gene
The rear engine Black Widow roadster that was on display at the WFI starting line was the one I drove in 1957. There is a lot of history to the car as well. It has been driven by Ak Miller, Leroy Neumayer, Jack Stecker and a couple of others. I was the only one that got it to 200 mph. The crank broke in the last mile and locked up the drive train and spun the car. A day I will never forget. :-o

I've been trying to get Glen to use this as his Avatar, but he has been slow on the throttle :wink:.  Neat car and I'll bet a lot of memories for you Glen :-).

Just a reminder I have some pages on my site for people's pictures HERE .  I would hope more of you would participate so that we might put a face to a name.

c ya,

Sum   

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »
I recently heard of a REMR adding 300 lbs. to the front end to limit the flying effect the car has.

What roadster "flip & flop show" are we talking about?

DW

lsrholder

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »
DW.... I was under the impression that a shorter w/base vehicle, with a large portion of its weight in the rear, would tend to get out of shape much easier, all other things being equal.

A longer w/base vehicle w/rear engine, tends to be more stable, IMHO, thus providing a measure of safety. 225" w/base "should" be more stable than 190" .... I "think"

Like I said, maybe i'm missing something here, that's why i'm asking.... to learn

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »
DW.... I was under the impression that a shorter w/base vehicle, with a large portion of its weight in the rear, would tend to get out of shape much easier, all other things being equal...
........................ to learn

That is why they added the weight to the front,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:16 AM »
Read previous posts with subjects like CG/CP. There is a lot out there.

DW

lsrholder

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 10:34:06 AM »
DW... i'm reading as much info on this site as possible on those subjects, and also have a list of suggested books to obtain from you & others. THANKS !

Still doesn't answer why the roadsters are, shall we say, stuck with the 190" maximum w/base. Coupes have the same aero factors/problems.

Other than "it's the rules" explanation, which can be changed with the stroke of a pen.