Author Topic: Placement of Nitrous Bottle  (Read 887 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Placement of Nitrous Bottle
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:11:31 AM »
I am putting a 5lb nitrous bottle on my stock (unfaired) 1979 GS1000 to run in the fuel class. I am wondering where the least draggy position is for this bottle. About the only options I have for it are about 2' behind my left leg, or behind my back on the tail fairing. There his a lot of turbulence in both positions so I want to know what seems to be the least amount of drag. Expected speed is about 140 mph.

Any ideas which is best

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Placement of Nitrous Bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 01:21:17 AM »
How much do you think you will use in one pass?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 01:17:53 PM »
I think mounting it behind your a$$ would be the best place as this is a turbulent area and the bottle would just fill us some of that area plus it would be the easiest place to make a mount.

The answer to John's question, "How much do you think you will use in one pass?" is 'The tops of 4 pistons and the amount of nitrous to make that happen."

Good luck!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 10:14:30 AM »
1 lb per minute = 10 HP.... roughly... using a 5:1 NFR by weight...
So you are going to need to carry at least 30 seconds worth of N20... plus a reserve to preserve pressure
I'm with Rex, put it behind you
How big the bottle and wallet are will determine how much you use per pass.  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the info! I am going to put the tank crosswise at the back with about a 30-40 degree down angle.

If 1 lb/Min = 10 hp, then at 40hp (wet) shot with 30 second duration I should use 2 lbs in 1 mile. I have another 5 lb tank for the return run (hoping).

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 04:51:06 PM »
I can't find a pic right now, but the 10# bottle on my ZX12 was mounted (on an angle) between the driver legs/under the seat/almost to the swingarm.  With all due propriety I say:  The shutoff was in plain sight right between my thighs and so it looked like I was diddling myself if I turned the knob while sitting on the scooter.  The 10# bottle was way more than needed (100hp dry shot), but that was partly so we could run the air shifter on the nitrous, too - for quite a few runs.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 07:15:20 PM »
I use a 10# bottle.  Mine is mounted inside of the tail under the fairings on my Hayabusa, took a lot of "figure'n" to get it to work.  You can find pictures just by googling my name.  (Ransom Holbrook)

3 1-mile passes is all I could do before the bottle would drop below a level that would effect the pressure during a run.  With a full bottle, I could leave at 1000psi and be above 900psi as I passed the timing traps.  I left the line spraying (stage 1) and by 3rd gear was into to stage 2 ... all in by 5th gear.