Author Topic: Vortex generator  (Read 701 times)

Offline deepindebt

Vortex generator
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:58:31 PM »
Has any one used small VGs inside an air intake before the plenum? I think it may be a positive? Thoughts?
327,B/GR

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Vortex generator
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 02:34:54 PM »
Air inlets and scoops that actually are efficient enough to increase inlet air pressure are not as easy to build as they look. We had Woody design one for us and he went through a bunch of concepts and design before we got one that worked. As I remember none of them had vortex generators. Our scoop has guide vanes and a splitter but nothing you would call a VG. A properly designed NACA duct works because of the vortex(s) that are generated on each side of the flush opening. If you want a scoop that works contact Woody.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 02:36:43 PM »
NASA once had diagrams of various NACA shapes and proportions on line, can't find it now.

The pressure (discharge) side of serious superchargers (all Eaton "M" series, Kobelco) look suspiciously like NACA ducts: they're much smaller than the area of the rotors, and heavily biased toward one end of the manifold.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 04:02:36 PM »
Just GOOGLE "A NACA duct calculator" lots of information comes up. I have an original NACA paper, I believe from 1947, but I'm in Costa Rica so no access at this time.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 08:20:17 PM »
Vortex Generators are a "positive" addition when there are increased drag issues from "growing boundary layers" on airfoils....

Otherwise, they are just protrusions in the airstream that ,most likely, will hurt more than help...

Smitty

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 09:54:25 PM »
Woody or at the very least the special air cleaner/air calmer on top of carb or throttlebody
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!