Author Topic: Rule Book for 2023  (Read 1769 times)

Offline slowalex

• New folks
Rule Book for 2023
« on: February 28, 2023, 01:22:05 AM »
Following on from this thread, I'm wondering if it's too soon to ask about the 2023 Rule Book
When should we expect to be able to order/receive the new rulebook?

The FIA published their updated Land Speed regulations for 2023, earlier this month.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2023_appendix_d.pdf

The DLRA have published their 2023 rulebook too.
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Am I right to think that the SCTA rule book must be just around the corner.
https://scta-bni.org/shop/ols/categories/scta-rulebook

It says "new products are coming soon"

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Rule Book for 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:53:37 AM »
I already have my rule book on order... that is automatic when you pay your BNI dues.  It is never too early to order... now when you get one is another story.  I've received my rulebook as early as April and as late as mid July... Rule changes are usually published on the website as soon as they are approved so generally you are not blindsided.   
If you live in CA and go to SCTA club meetings you will probably get your book sooner.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 01:19:39 PM »
Expect early May at the soonest

Offline MRK

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »
Not sure when the 2023 rule book will be ready but I'll tell you it's not radically different than the 2022 version.
Some of the "highlights" are...
"D" engines are now allowed in the AIR class.
"J" engines are now allowed in the Mod Sports class
Strakes are allowed in the MGT class
You are allowed to jump in and out of the Classic category. If you're running for SCTA points, it's best not to.
Rear windscreens are now allowed to be made of a "shatter resistant" material provided it is an exact replica and does not change the general contour or profile of the vehicle.
Yes, production-based classes ( PRO, GC, ALT, CC ) for electric vehicles are coming. Most likely in 2024 though.
The NASCAR class is NOT coming in the near future. At this time there has been very little work done to establish a set of rules for the proposed class.
That pretty much sums up the changes that will appear in the new book.
Cheers
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 08:46:55 PM »
Thanx for the update.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 03:59:38 PM »
Not sure when the 2023 rule book will be ready but I'll tell you it's not radically different than the 2022 version.
You are allowed to jump in and out of the Classic category. If you're running for SCTA points, it's best not to.
Rear windscreens are now allowed to be made of a "shatter resistant" material provided it is an exact replica and does not change the general contour or profile of the vehicle.
Yes, production-based classes ( PRO, GC, ALT, CC ) for electric vehicles are coming. Most likely in 2024 though.
The NASCAR class is NOT coming in the near future. At this time there has been very little work done to establish a set of rules for the proposed class.
Cheers

Hi MRK  I applied for a rule wing rule change for comp coups last year before deadline and an official in charge of rule changes even called me to make sure I wasn't making the rule change to outlaw somebody. NO.
 The only change to the wing law was to eliminate the sentence ''wings must be mounted 6in above highest part of body'' All original wording would remain except my rule change. This would allow wings to be mounded in a conventual manner such as modified spots car in 24 hrs of Le Mans etc. Wings could still be mounted above body just not have to.

I would like to know why anyone would vote against this.

I tried to find 2023 rule changes but no luck. Hey MAYBE IT PASSED.

jl222

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 04:05:09 PM by jl222 »

Offline MRK

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 07:37:11 PM »
Cheers

Hi MRK  I applied for a rule wing rule change for comp coups last year before deadline and an official in charge of rule changes even called me to make sure I wasn't making the rule change to outlaw somebody. NO.
 The only change to the wing law was to eliminate the sentence ''wings must be mounted 6in above highest part of body'' All original wording would remain except my rule change. This would allow wings to be mounded in a conventual manner such as modified spots car in 24 hrs of Le Mans etc. Wings could still be mounted above body just not have to.

I would like to know why anyone would vote against this.

I tried to find 2023 rule changes but no luck. Hey MAYBE IT PASSED.

jl222

No Sir. It failed.
The vote was unanimous to not adopt the proposed rule change regarding wing mounting locations in CC.
During the rules committee meeting, the reason for a vote cast one way or another is rarely questioned. We simply tally the votes that come from the club reps, the committee heads and whomever is allowed ( USFRA, etc. ) and go from there. At times there is discussion about the wording of a proposal and that gets hashed out but the reason someone or a group ( club ) votes a particular way isn't discussed.
Regards,
Mike

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:38:56 PM by MRK »

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 11:37:35 PM »

If any club reps are reading about this I would like a reason for a no vote.

JL222

Offline slowalex

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 04:57:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone that replied, most of these changes sound good to me.

> You are allowed to jump in and out of the Classic category

Quite a lot of people seem to want to run different classes in an event, so I don't know why this should have ever been a problem in the past. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see much difference between changing fuel to run in a different class and fitting an ECU (for example) to run your classic in a modern class.

> production-based classes for electric vehicles

There must be a lot of people that would like to run electric power, but don't have the space to store a streamliner.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:52:43 AM by slowalex »

Offline MRK

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
Hey all.
I have it on good authority that the 2023 rule book will be available at the SCTA May Meet. Clubs who have a rep on the lakebed will be given a share and the person who sends them out to BNI members will picking up their share as well. And of course, they will be available at the sales trailer.
Cheers

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 12:13:10 AM »
. . .   and fitting an ECU (for example) to run your classic in a modern class.

If you meant that adding an ECU was required to jump out of Classic, I don't believe that is correct. A modern (AKA Modified) class allows any induction (yes, even mechanical Hilborn or EFI) and any ignition (single Mag, CDI, etc.) or computer controlled engine management in the non-stock classes (gas, altered, etc.). So a Classic class already meets those requirements with their mechanical stuff. All they have to do is fill out a Modified entry.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 07:52:48 AM »
. . .   and fitting an ECU (for example) to run your classic in a modern class.

If you meant that adding an ECU was required to jump out of Classic, I don't believe that is correct. A modern (AKA Modified) class allows any induction (yes, even mechanical Hilborn or EFI) and any ignition (single Mag, CDI, etc.) or computer controlled engine management in the non-stock classes (gas, altered, etc.). So a Classic class already meets those requirements with their mechanical stuff. All they have to do is fill out a Modified entry.
I think this is a little misleading. You can run ANY car, that fits the Class  rules in the MODIFIED Category. That includes any car that is CLASSIC category legal. This is of course what was done before the Classic category was developed, that does now allow running an older car against similar competition with some engine management limitations as in no non OEM EFI. Body rules are similar. Records often are (were) a bit "softer" especially in the smaller engine classes but still you have to work at it. Nothing easy here. "For reasons of economy and historical authenticity, certain electronic engine technologies are not allowed." You have to read the rule carefully to see what is and isn't allowed. In the past you could not switch back and forth between classic and regular within a competition year but as noted in posts above, this is now allowed per MRK. In this thread and others there is some confusion about Class rules and Category rules. They are not the same thing. (And OK, this is all my take on this stuff. Ask the committee contacts in the rule book if you want official answers).
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 05:50:58 PM »
Thanx, Jack.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 07:46:37 PM »
Jack: I think we are agreement but a little confused because you included my quote in your reply to #8 or was it #10?
My post #10 indicates no ECU is needed to run a Classic as a Modified. Just enter the car as a Modified Category.

Your entered both quotes and say that is misleading. Which way are you calling it? 

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 09:42:45 PM »
Saltfever, i just replied (quoted) to your post #10. ( which quoted 8 ) I Felt most of the discussion was a bit confusing, which has been a problem in other threads with the Classic Category  and how it is different. Of course, an ECU is not required to run in the Modified category as you say.  As long as the car fits the appropriate CLASS rules in "regular" Modified you can run whatever you want. And I am emphasizing Class rules here= the various NA, blown, fuel, gas variations of Alt and GC. Classic CATEGORY  also includes all these classes as well as Production. Sorry for any confusion. However you mention and equate "modern" with Modified and that any induction is allowed. Mechanical FI is allowed in Classic as well as CDI and magnetos (single). These parts are not different in the two Categories. Specifically again "For reasons of economy and historical authenticity, certain electronic engine technologies are not allowed " and other than vintage bodies ( 1928-1948) this is the only substantive difference between Classic and Non Classic. Considering the long debate about which makes more power (in our case WFO,( not fuel economy, emissions or around town driving) a carb or EFI or MFI for that matter, there should be no significant power and therefore record speed differences between the two categories. I opine that if your ignition, whatever it is, lights the fire, there is no reliable power difference in how you make it. l guess another arguable point as some may light the fire better than others.   But there are AERO differences of the cars between the two categories so the records in Classic haven't caught up yet.
Again, sorry if I wasn't clear and hope this was better. Trying to be helpful.  muutt
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019