Author Topic: Aerodynamics roadster bodies.  (Read 2382 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Aerodynamics roadster bodies.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 01:18:54 PM »
Johns 34 roadster is absolutely outstanding the only thing I would change is the front tires. Running Goodyear 2904 top fuel front tires in front would reduce greatly the aero drag. Thus adding to the MPH without adding any more horsepower.
   Ronnieroadster
:-D :-D Sid.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 08:53:42 PM »
I wonder how these tires would affect handling,if at all? I agree and have thought about those for our roadster also. Anybody have experience running these?
327,B/GR

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 09:48:47 PM »
That's the tire I run on the front of my Ford flathead powered gas burning REMR. They handle fine the only concern is the load capacity per tire which is 800 pounds each. Top speed so far running the tire on the salt 219 on a runway 229.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 12:59:18 AM »
I have them on the frt of my Lakester  ---remember they mount on motorcycle rims
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 01:40:14 PM »
Our relatively light for its class C/STR had 1400 on the front and 2200 on the back -- with a driver.  That's close to the maximum listed. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »
As Sparky said, they do need the motorcycle bead configuration to mount properly. I just got a set of forged aluminum wheels, with the motorcycle bead, for the front of our lakester. They are very nice, I got them from Wally Kohler, he is building a new motorcycle and got me a set at the same time. They are 17 x 2.75 which is .5 inches wider than standard top fuel wheels. I have several friends that are running them on a lakester (230+MPH) and also a fuel roadster with a GMC six. They are made in China but are damn nice. This is a link to them:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Motorcycle-Aluminum-Blank-Wheels-Aluminium-Motorcycle_1600468363793.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_title.24467e50QJqHWj&s=p
They come with a .75 inch center so Wally had them cut the to .50 inch which is better for both of our applications.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
The Top Fuel 2904 front tire dose not need a motorcycle bead I have them on Centerline Spindle mount wheels.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 12:06:30 PM »
Ronnie, your centerlines are probably made with a motorcycle bead if they were made for the dragster tires... The LSR 17 inch skinnys have a motorcycle bead I believe.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 03:24:15 PM »
Absolutely  go to an earlier thread  when Podunk and I were making mine  even management of Goodyear and Centerline didn't know at that time. gave us WRONG INFORMATION!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2023, 03:33:27 PM »
Same tars - 'mo $$!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
I kinda wonder if you're running those 800-lb. limit on the front of a Street Roadster or an (Altered) Roadster and it decided to come around as some of them do, how those tires would react with almost two tons trying to peel them off the wheels.

On another note (hmmmmm), we switched from the Goodyears to the M&H ribbed ones and at last had a good feel of what was happening (Notch exempted).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 01:08:28 AM »
Just looked it up, the Goodyear 2904, 22x4-17 has a 1200 lb rating at 90 psi.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »
I remember reading a long time ago that a '27 T body  was more streamlined if you ran it trunk first

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 01:41:51 PM »
I remember reading a long time ago that a '27 T body  was more streamlined if you ran it trunk first

Which is why the SCTA rule book now say the body must be run in a "conventional manner" in Vintage Category.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
When aero roadsters are the subject I always like to bring up the Contrivance Engineering 23 T (might be at 25??) roadster. It does (did?) hold almost all of the modified roadster records between AA and E, blown, unblown, gas or fuel. I remember talking to the guy that designed it, can't remember his name right now, but he likes the early T body as you can control the air flow around the rear tires. Hard to argue with success. His thinking might work for the roadster class also.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.