Author Topic: Downhill car goes to over 100 MPH  (Read 1553 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Downhill car goes to over 100 MPH
« on: January 30, 2023, 01:46:45 PM »
Here is a gravity racer looking very much like a landspeed streamliner. The aerodynamics are obviously good as it reached a speed 101.98 MPH just by going down a hill.
It looks wider than it needs to be, I guess that is for stability. Interesting reading with lots of photos.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/homegrown-atomic-scalpel-tops-100-mph-with-gravity-alone/

Don
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:49:51 PM by donpearsall »
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stan Back

Re: Downhill car goes to over 100 MPH
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 02:38:40 PM »
I'm curious to know why adding more weight would not increase speed.  Any answers?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TD

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:52:06 PM »
Very cool.  I wonder where the road is in the southeast U.S.?

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
Very cool.  I wonder where the road is in the southeast U.S.?

Just a guess but maybe the Brasstown Bald road in Georgia.

11.2 % average grade over 3 miles.

Again just a guess.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:22:35 PM »
Really nice body work :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline TD

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 08:44:29 PM »
I'm curious to know why adding more weight would not increase speed.  Any answers?
Stan, I sent you an email on this question, from my Gmail account, it may have ended up in your spam folder.
Tim
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:15:08 PM by TD »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 09:44:09 PM »
Stan's not the only curious one here. Why the secrecy?

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »
Hey Stan,
Galileo discovered that gravity affects every object exactly, with the same force within the same system. He supposedly dropped a piece of fruit and some metal object from the tower in Pisa, Italy in the 1400s. Weight is not a factor. A feather will fall at the same velocity as an anvil within the same gravitational field, the earth for example or the moon with only 1/6 the gravity of the earth. As long as you drop or let them accelerate in the same place or system, they will hit the ground at exactly the same time.  The feather will be slower only because of the resistance of the air (atmosphere) on earth. We do not live in a vacuum, and the aerodynamics slow the feather. One of the astronauts did this experiment with a hammer and a feather, on the moon, which has no atmosphere. He dropped from them at exactly the same height, and they hit at the surface at exactly the same time. So long way to answer, but the weight of any object has no bearing on gravity.
One more non instinctive fact is: If you hold a gun exactly horizontally parallel to the ground and fire a bullet and drop another bullet from the same height at exactly the same time, they will hit the ground at exactly the same moment. The distance, the fired bullet travels from the gun has no effect on gravity reacting on both bullets. They hit the ground at exactly the same instant.
I hope no one thinks I am a know it all. I just remember a few physics classes a long time ago. This counter intuitive fact is very hard to wrap your head around. It seems it should be that gravity is stronger on heavier objects, ain't so. Only the aerodynamics.
jr 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:52:43 PM by JR'S PAPA »
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline TD

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »
Stan's not the only curious one here. Why the secrecy?
Just trying not to make a fool of myself...  :-D   The message I sent to Stan was an email sent through the forum web interface.  I did not keep a copy and cannot find where they are kept, if they are kept.  So, if Stan wants to post it I'm good with it, otherwise I'll try to reconstruct it tomorrow.

The difference boils down to the idea that the relatively small amount of aero drag decelerates the heavier car slightly less than it does the lighter car (via a = F / m).  The difference in (negative) acceleration is about 1% of the total average acceleration over the run.  Since the run is short that difference doesn't amount to much, less than 1 MPH if I'm correct.  Which I may not be. 

If the run were longer then the difference would amount to a larger difference in speed at the end of the course.  As I wrote to Stan, rocket scientists would tell you that acceleration at 0.1 G will get to you 10% of the speed of light if you run the thrust long enough...

Tim

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 11:09:00 PM »
Why would the chute not be in a tube within the body?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 01:22:50 AM »
There are lots of choices on this little liner that aren't optimal, the chute is just one of them.
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 12:16:23 PM »
Nope, I didn't get the email.  I like Spam, fried, so I would have opened the can.

I just wondered why they had a weight limit if weight was no factor.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:16:16 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 03:45:25 PM »
The key word, I guess, is "necessarily". Running nitro doesn't necessarily increase speed, either.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 03:17:34 PM »
Stan:  Newton's Second Law.

I don't fully understand this .. my mind just can't wrap around it.  Since there is no mention of the "grade" standard, then just drop something with good aero out of an airplane and measure its terminal velocity.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 03:20:52 PM by RansomT »

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 05:40:27 PM »
I don't know if this is applicable to these kinds of gravity racers, but for Pinewood Derby cars, a known trick for the fastest speed is to place the most weight at the rearmost end of the car. That way the most weight will still be accelerating on the downhill portion of the track while the front of the car transitions from downhill to level track.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer