Author Topic: Altered coupe tech question  (Read 423 times)

Offline racergeo

Altered coupe tech question
« on: January 14, 2023, 12:26:35 AM »

In the altered class you are allowed up to a 25 percent engine set back  I've got the carb right under the cowl area at the bottom of the windshield. In fact the Lexon windshield will need to be notched for clearance above the carb. It's almost like people avoid setting the engine back even in Comp Coupe in order to avoid the problem. I've looked for pictures of cars that have addressed this but haven't found any. I will need to have my rear facing scoop go through my windshield to make this work. It is the altered class that allows the cowl to be extended and the use of fiberglass front ends. I just need to address this in a proper manner.

Thanks   George

Offline Stan Back

Re: Altered coupe tech question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 02:05:25 PM »
Can't picture your exact situation, but you don't have to set it back exactly 25%.  More info might get you a better answer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

Re: Altered coupe tech question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 03:56:54 PM »

When you read "hood scoops" in the rule book it seems clear that it only address' the engine being in the stock location. I only have my engine back 10 percent yet that places the carb under the bottom of the windshield. I want to build a stationary air box around the carb and have the back of the scoop fit tight against it.  I only have a 6" engine set back as defined by the rule book. If I had a 25 percent set back with a 102 inch wheel base the the whole engine would be behind the stock firewall and the windshield. For obvious reasons I want to isolate the carb from engine heat and in the event of a backfire from a fire.  All I want to do is is cut a 5"{ high by 12" wide hole in the bottom of my Lexan windshield to allow room for the carb  enclosure. A scoop attached to the hood with a rear opening (notice Stan I didn't say HOLE) to allow air to the carb air box.

Stan and I have taught our male children and young friends the Boy Scout sleeping rule. Hole to hole or pole to pole but NOT hole to pole or pole to hole. :wink: