Author Topic: Fuel injector weld in bungs.  (Read 2615 times)

Offline tauruck

Fuel injector weld in bungs.
« on: December 28, 2022, 05:29:07 AM »
On this subject I zero to little knowledge.
I have questions and need help.

What I have are bungs with an OD of 22mm.
My turbo guy says "angle them towards the inlet valve".
He went on to say I must cut the bung at an angle where the pintle protrudes
to shroud the injector on the incoming side and the pintle should just stick out slightly.
What is slightly in mm??????. That's the first problem. Second is that if you look at the
bung inside the runner it's quite an obstacle being this cylindrical shape. I was thinking of more
a bullet shape or doesn't it make a difference in a blown application?.
I Googled and found an article that covered some of the concerns I have. Advice from Kenny Duttweiler on
angles and distance from the intake port. He says 45* or less and as far up the runner as possible but then the
further you get the bigger the chances are of the fuel rail hitting the runners. Closer and you run into atomization
problems!!!!.
I can't drill the runners far away from the flange due to the short height. I could go up the runner but then the angle
of attack has to change. Am I being way too fussy on the position and angle of the injector bungs?. The injector is
a short unit (2200cc) and I have 66mm long runners between flanges.

I thank you in advance. I'm at sea here. Clueless.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel injector weld in bungs.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »
Mike, Simple answer.
Don't worry about the exact targeting of the injectors. Yes, they are better if aimed at the back side of the valve, yes, they are better up high on the runner, etc, etc. Injector targeting is more important for emissions or peak power in a N/A engine. I have run them at almost 90 degrees to the runner, it still makes power and wins races.
Here are some pictures of my roadster intake during construction. Carry on and have fun!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 12:33:39 AM »
Thanks Michael.
That solves a lot of problems.
How much of the pintle should extrude from the bung?.👍👍👍

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 09:31:15 AM »
It really depends on the spray pattern, but generally, it does not need to protrude into the air stream at all. It can be up in the bung .100 to .200 with no real issues.

Thanks to whomever moved my post into the right location. :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...