Author Topic: A couple of New Orleans boys who need some help.  (Read 3006 times)

beretta279

A couple of New Orleans boys who need some help.
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:15:51 PM »
I don't want to sound like I'm begging anyone for money, just wondering how I can go about getting some funding sources.  Two New Orleans bartenders are currently building the "Stinkin' Lincoln" to bring to World of Speed 2007.  Things are still a little rough in post- Hurricane Katrina New Orleans and they're working on a shoestring budget.  The project really means a lot to their friends, mostly located in the French Quarter area.  I've been assisting them with computer/secretarial type tasks, and as I work in an art gallery in the area I'm trying to plan a small photography show to get them some extra funds, but I'm afraid it might not be enough.  So here's the story of the car and the project:

Two bartenders in the New Orleans French Quarter were given a flooded out Lincoln MArk VIII.  JT, the brains of the project, went from designing motorcycles to bartending after the Hurricane.  While bartending shortly after the storm he befriended a new co-worker whose treasured car had been flooded during the aftermath of the storm.  He told JT that the car was just going to be hauled off and tossed away.  JT, inspired by the plight of his beloved city decided to use the car to set an example for those around him.  He enlisted the help of his friend (and roommate) Andy, also a bartender, and they set out to make something amazing out of the Lincoln.  Instead of just making a flooded out car run again, they decided to strive to make the world's fastest Lincoln.  Both guys had lots of experience with motorcycles but very little with cars, so they decided to learn as they went along.  They towed the car to their house (which is really an old office building in the French Quarter that they've converted into a makeshift studio/shop space) and began working on the project.  Sundays (and often any other day that fits into their schedules) became car day, when many of JT's and Andy's friends gather at the shop to work on the car.  I've even seen complete strangers wander into the garage and start helping.  Everyone does what they can but with our city's still shaky economy the guys are worried that even putting everything they have into the car won't be enough to get them to Bonneville. 

I'm their computer girl and know very little about cars and racing other than what I've learned from spending time watching the progress of the car.  Since I know art, not cars, I'm not sure how to go about helping them get some funding, I'd really appreciate any tips. 

Thanks,

Vikki, JT, Andy, the "Stinkin' Lincoln", and all our friends in NOLA

Offline jimmy six

Re: A couple of New Orleans boys who need some help.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »
Be careful in what you state there have been some "Worlds fastest Lincolns" a few times. I'm not one to predict; bad luck follows predictions....Best of luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »
Wasn't there a Lincoln that went over 300mph at one of those "short course"  1/4 mile tracks some time ago..White in color .... :wink:

either way good luck with the funding, try FEMA, I hear they give money to anyone that asks...even several times to the same people.. :-(

J

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 08:04:24 AM »
Good suggestion John. My personal experience with FEMA concerns an earthquake, broken wine bottles and replacement carpet.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:17:13 AM »
Welcome to landspeed racing...everyone in the sport is on a limited budget.  Good luck with the project
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:03:18 AM »
start with Ford directly after you have come into contact with and have the support of your local media and the largest Ford/Lincoln dealer in the storm area most affected.

Offline t russell

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »
Try overhauling(tv) show due to your local,may be a good hook.Any one that wants the publicty and thinks it will make them money.take advantage of a bad situation some one may bite.
good luck and welcome

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 05:36:56 PM »
everyone in the sport is on a limited budget. 

There's other kinds of budgets?
Todd