Author Topic: not forgotten - remembering Don Vesco  (Read 680 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
not forgotten - remembering Don Vesco
« on: December 16, 2022, 07:28:42 AM »
One of the greatest in our sport left this world 20 years ago

Don Vesco lost his toughest battle - against cancer - and passed away in the hospital after fighting for a year.

as his brother Rick said....he couldn't believe that Don would die in a hospital bed - after all this years in racing.

Don was the only racer who holds the - for purist - absolute WLSR on two and four wheels (ignoring the jets/rockets) - and he set lots of new benchmarks in the speed record world.

But Don was not only successful at the salt and on the race track, he also was a man with a big heart and human thinking and was always willing to help other to follow their dreams,

or as we call it    a racers racer

Don's FIA record still stands, the Vesco Team is still on the salt for finishing what he once start - pushing the borders to new limits - the Turbinator is the all time memory from a very special
person

I had the luck to have known Don as a great friend

you will be never forgotten for that what you done off and on the salt

...the photo shows Don short after he had set the FIA record WF 2001.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: not forgotten - remembering Don Vesco
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 12:11:58 AM »
Don would always come by our pit at the end of the meet for a quick visit with Al & he was always a really nice guy to be around. The last time he stuck around for quite a while as we were packing up & it seemed noticeably different at the time. There was a lot of joking & reminiscing of racing gone by & it helped the mood of all of us who were beat down & worn out from the hard grind of running Betsy. I wasn't until much later I realized that Don had come to say goodbye. You are remembered well Don!
Some of our crew have made their final pass but Al is still with us & none of us are young anymore.
  Sid.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:45:29 PM »
My fascination with the motorcycle land speed record grew while running The Blue Flame on the Salt Flats in 1970, watching Don Vesco set the FIM record at 251.66 miles per hour, followed days later by Denis Manning?s Harley-Davidson, ridden by Cal Rayborn, to 254.84 miles per hour. The whole Honda Hawk design and construction took place in about six months in 1971. American Honda was interested in the FIM record and asked Pete and me to build a bike to race that year. The results were a one way run in 1971 at 286.7 miles per hour and, in 1972, an AMA class record of 232.7 miles per hour. Not too shabby, eh? Arriving on the Salt Flats in late September, it immediately became apparent I had screwed up the steering geometry. A four-bar link design was employed to try and keep the steering structure rigid at design speeds over 300 miles per hour. While the Honda Hawk did fall over a few times at low speeds, compared to Manning?s tank-slappers in 1970, it didn?t look too bad. By the time Rayborn set his record with the Harley it could have been called the Duct Tape Special. Manning and Rayborn stuck with it and won! After getting some front bearing part numbers on the phone from Don Vesco (a really great guy) we quickly redesigned the steering using a ?center-point? design. It never fell after that in 1971. Don Vesco was unselfish sharing this crucial design information. I am forever grateful to him.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:53:43 PM by MAYOMAN »
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:37:38 PM »
My earliest memories of B'ville revolve around the entire Vesco family. Not a bad place to be "dropped off" while Freud was at the 5 mile behind a 500mm lens.