Author Topic: Run For Your Life  (Read 1060 times)

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
Run For Your Life
« on: November 06, 2022, 02:02:43 PM »
In 1965  a new TV show aired starring Ben Gazzara. It had an opening shot of a streamliner running down the black line at Bonneville; does anyone know where this clip came from? what car, what team, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Foo4JKblM
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Run For Your Life
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
Neil,

Craig Breedlove's team with the Spirit of America produced several of so films....could be one of them...which match to the year....1964 (and also 1965)
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 07:56:38 PM »
Neil,

Craig Breedlove's team with the Spirit of America produced several of so films....could be one of them...which match to the year....1964 (and also 1965)

That sounds likely- thanks.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
Whatever it was....It was moving all over the place at a rather low speed. Camera truck is my guess. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 09:03:20 PM »
This was the first moving images I saw of Bonneville as a young hot rodder in NZ & decided one day I'm going there!
  Sid.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 12:38:29 AM »
It's been a long time since any racer has seen floating mountain that big in their windscreen without being chassis deep in mud
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Tom Burkland

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 12:31:31 AM »
This film clip showing the black line had to have been filmed before the federal collection ditch was dredged to the south west of the current long course #1 to get this perspective of Floating Mountain, not only is there no salt coverage at this location today, you would also have had to lept over the dike/berm left when the ditch was dredged in the late 60s and early 70s. The drag line booms were visible at the far end of this ditch in 1969 and it was not finished back to the culvert under I-80 until the early 70s. This ditch carried away the majority of the brine that was extracted from the eleven mineral leases on the north side of I-80 to Kaiser Chemical, then Reilly Industries, now Intrepid Potash. The significant decrease in salt coverage along the southeast edge of the long course and specifically any return run starting area for the international course are a direct result of extensive mineral extraction in this area.