Author Topic: Associated Press story on saving the salt  (Read 628 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Associated Press story on saving the salt
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »
Take a look through this if you've got a few minutes.  Not too bad... until you get to the paragraph that, when I read it, I dang near spit my teeth across the room as I shouted at what I read.  See if you can find it on your own before you scroll down and read it below.

https://apnews.com/article/science-travel-utah-aquifers-climate-and-environment-59b618ad37175337e8623d4a017251cd?fbclid=IwAR3DbDEEtwGrXs5uftLmOzRtTFXm6QyfP8NpLJzta7ZpUDVMRepZo9-HdBc

"A 2016 study found that the areas most susceptible to thinning were places where races are organized. In simple terms, it changes how water can flow through the crust, Bernau said."         (My teeth go flying, coffee through my nose, etc. at reading this line).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Associated Press story on saving the salt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
Typical Associated Press crap. We are always "daredevil speed racers".

I wonder why AP has never been hit with an anti-trust lawsuit?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 08:32:51 AM »
AP does not stand for accuracy, apparently. The subtitle below the photo of The Blue Flame - the LAST absolute world land speed record set on the Bonneville Salt Flats - said the record was set on November 4, 1970. The USAC-FIA officials listed the date (accurately) as October 23, 1970. Since I was there, as co-owner of Reaction Dynamics, Inc., with Pete Farnsworth and our crew, I can agree with the USAC-FIA certification of our record on October 23, 1970. The salt was beautiful that day. Sadly the BLM has done nothing to preserve the historic salt flats. Money talks, and the racers don't vote in Utah elections. Oh, and the absolute world land speed record set that day was 630.388 miles per hour, in the kilometer.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
While I had the joyful experience of racing several vehicles on the pristine international course at Bonneville from 1970 (The Blue Flame) through 1974, 1971 was a difficult year on the salt. I-80 was under construction, built on a berm of earth, rocks, etc., alongside US40. During the winter of 1970-1971 debris consisting of mud and clay washed out on to the international course. When the summer wind and heat dried the Salt Flats, the debris was blown away leaving a veritable motocross surface ? well, not quite, but undulations remained in the high-speed section. That was when we ran the Honda Hawk motorcycle streamliner for the FIM record attempt.
Honda Hawk had a fixed rear suspension. As a result, at high speeds the rear wheel left the ground. We continually had two modes of failure on several record attempts, both related to over-revving the motors. While the motorcycle did have a rev limiter, it didn?t work. Solid state electronics were temperature sensitive in those days. The rev limiter was calibrated in the dynamometer lab at higher temperatures than the frigid conditions that October in the high desert. The result was disastrous.
At high speeds the rear tire would unload and the motors would rev up before Jon McKibben could roll back the throttle. Several times this resulted in bent valves when they floated and hit the pistons. Other times, when the rear wheel was over-speeding in the air it came down and overloaded the drive chain which stretched or snapped. It was not possible to make the FIM-required reverse direction runs in the time available. Finally, the 1971 salt flats racing season was over. Thank God!
Thankfully, in 1972 and 1974 when I came back with the 2 Pollution Packer rocket dragsters to attempt standing start records, Mother Nature had successfully restored the flat surface which lasted for several more decades.
Apparently, the BLM (should be Bureau of Land MISmanagement) has succeeded in destroying a beautiful natural wonder. I sincerely hope Bonneville salt flats will recover.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 12:36:43 PM »
SSS  just one  ?  I did not have to worry about spitting my teeth out because what I WAS READING GAVE ME LOCK JAW!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!