Author Topic: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner  (Read 18944 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2022, 09:01:58 AM »
You still busy on it Sid?.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2022, 02:51:46 AM »
It's done minus paint but the China Virus hammered me in July so I couldn't make SW but It was ready to run if we'd had a WoS.
Keep at yours Mate, it a long grind for a one man band.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2022, 03:43:07 AM »
Sorry you got the China. That sucks man.
I never went out of my yard in two years but that's normal for me.
Glad you got it done Sid. I remember when you were having problems with the body work.
Last time I saw pics. It's a tough deal building a liner even for one who knows them.
I'm winging it here brother.
Get well. That thing doesn't take prisoners.🙏🙏🙏

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2023, 12:10:35 AM »
Yes it has been a while... it's not that I've been doing nothing... I have been messing with the lower frame rails getting the shape I think I want... at the length I think I want.  I think I am finally there.  I have some of the other frame parts made, so I'm hoping it starts going together easier from here. 
This one is going to have  2 chutes... I initially figured I would do launched pilots in 2.5-3 inch tubes and main chutes in 4-4.5 inch tubes... but.... I started playing with the chutes and tubes... 4 is too small to put your hand and arm into.  I have a couple of 5.25 inch aluminum tubes, those may be the size for the mains.  My guess is they are 5 inch schedule 5 or 10... maybe one of each.  Since the tubes don't need to be structural like the one on the lakester, aluminum should work, although I still have stainless tubing left over if it comes to that.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:14 PM »
May the CLAMP FORCE be with you!!  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »
Will you launch two chutes at the same time -- or use one as a backup?

(We never went that fast and on our brick, the 2-wheel brakes were more than enuf to get out by the six and not bother with the chute.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2023, 04:45:14 PM »
Cars over 300mph need 2 chutes :clap
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2023, 04:50:00 PM »
No wonder I don't know!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2023, 10:04:07 PM »
One at a time Stan, the Lakester at 230 takes a mile + so I may need to have different chutes.  Since Jim Deist is not around I'll consult with Joe or one of the Bens to determine what I need... but I think I will build it first so I know how much it will weigh.
Stainless

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2023, 12:26:04 AM »
Joe's chute calculator seems to be a little on the big side compared to Jim's, take that into account if you go there.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2023, 01:05:15 AM »
Yes it has been a while... it's not that I've been doing nothing... I have been messing with the lower frame rails getting the shape I think I want... at the length I think I want.  I think I am finally there.  I have some of the other frame parts made, so I'm hoping it starts going together easier from here. 
This one is going to have  2 chutes... I initially figured I would do launched pilots in 2.5-3 inch tubes and main chutes in 4-4.5 inch tubes... but.... I started playing with the chutes and tubes... 4 is too small to put your hand and arm into.  I have a couple of 5.25 inch aluminum tubes, those may be the size for the mains.  My guess is they are 5 inch schedule 5 or 10... maybe one of each.  Since the tubes don't need to be structural like the one on the lakester, aluminum should work, although I still have stainless tubing left over if it comes to that.
 :cheers:

I went my route. Well, the route I know. I put release agent on some steel tubing and rolled some Carbon over it. After some serious "scheming" I got the tubes off and they're as smooth as a baby's bum on the inside. All the large steel tubing here is welded so I didn't think using them as chute tubes was a safe option. Tom is big on safety so I listen to him. Nice to see you making progress Stainless. You're a great mate. :cheers:

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2023, 09:55:39 AM »
Stainless - dual parachutes can be deployed together for effective stopping. In the late 1960s we were running the X-1 dragster at 266mph in the quarter-mile and stopping safely. We had 2 8ft diameter ribbon parachutes, with 1 16ft parachute reserved for emergency stopping. Never used that.
The X-1 weighed 980lb with driver.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:58:59 AM by MAYOMAN »
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2023, 01:28:35 PM »
Due to a liner's narrow wheel track & relative high CG it is desirable to get it settled into one small chute before unloading the rest of the laundry. Even a small cross wind can make a chute blossom off center & upset the car & the further back from the rear axle the attachment point is, adds leverage arm distance. Bobby Moore's incident with the Maro Special is a good example of this. At about 350 the chute blossomed off to the left & turned the liner 90 degrees to the right. In our current salt conditions it probably would have tumbled.
  To reduce pendulum weight behind the rear axle I used sewer pipe for the chute tubes, not only light weight but also light on the pocket.
  Sid. 

Offline John Burk

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2023, 02:57:37 PM »
Mackichan and Schulz used 3 small chutes , opening them progressively .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 03:00:14 PM by John Burk »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2023, 03:50:22 PM »
Joe's chute calculator seems to be a little on the big side compared to Jim's, take that into account if you go there.
  Sid.

Sid, the Lakester chute was the original streamliner chute from 1976 spec'ed by Jim Deist... we had Simson duplicate it once... and DJ after that one wore out....  We damaged the new one in 20 and they repaired it and built us a spare.  The risers keep growing... and take up more space than they did 30 years ago.
Jim designed Bonneville chutes to slow you down over a distance based on speed and weight and not exceeding a certain G value as he explained it at Bonneville years ago.  It is possible that DJ has shortened that distance and increased the G load due to shortening of the race course.   Back in those days most folks wanted to end up at the 9 mile impound.
Dick, lots of dragsters throw out 2 to slow down fast... I think these will go as singles, the first might be smaller than our lakester chute... I don't know yet. 
I checked some 4 inch tube and determined It was too small to get my hand and arm in, but I haven't gone to Home Depot to look at other sizes yet.  As I said earlier, I have aluminum 5 inch pipe
Stainless