Author Topic: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner  (Read 18924 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2022, 08:03:55 PM »
Here is a post on FB dated 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/2strokemadess/posts/the-buddfab-streamliner-built-by-john-buddenbaum-a-metal-fabricator-and-eric-noy/684912741582310/

The Buddfab streamliner, built by John Buddenbaum a metal fabricator and Eric Noyes an Engineer. Holds the record for the worlds fastest 50cc 2 stroke. In 2008 it recorded 145.039mph from it's little 02' Aprilia RS50 engine. More on the engine, a Minarelli AM6 engine. 6 speed liquid cooled From an rs50. Running a ton of Metrakit performance parts and a turbocharger. It's life blood had also been tampered with to run alongside Nitrous Oxide. Running just over 24HP for a 50cc engine. It really is something quite special. The chassis and bodywork itself is just as impressive. The chassis is made from mild steel tubing with full rollcage head to feet and stressed aluminum paneling. Bodywork is a full single piece fiberglass shell weighing only 27kg and measuring in at 13ft long.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 08:06:50 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline tortoise

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
Bicycle streamliners (the record is 89.59 mph) are in laminar flow for most, if not all of their length, but they're only 6-7 feet long. Their airfoil profiles accelerate the air continuously as it moves back on the body, sucking it in. A bug squashing on the surface can be enough disruption to spoil a good run.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
I am still working on the liner.... been making small parts... a dozen weld in 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 1/2-20 bungs to mount the swing arm.  The swingarm mounting structure... I'm starting to put it from paper to steel.   Not welding anything until I have to.  And it looks like I've run out of build table, so I will be cutting it off and putting it on the table I used to build the lakester... Thanks Sparky.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2022, 10:31:42 PM »
New orange assistant ? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »
Jerry, El Kabong will be disappointed you didn't recognize him.... Oh wait :x .. I've been informed EK's pronouns are it, they and them....  :roll:  lol8  Yes, it was required to slide that upper frame rail through the vertical frame.... I'm sure it will be employed to install the bungs in those holes as well.
The other top rail will be removable... still deciding how I'm going to do it.  The lakester I made the removable piece, then welded it in.  That may be the plan here as well.  Still thinking on that plan.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2022, 10:16:10 PM »
OK, went ahead with the top rail for the other side... I will cut the tube to install the removable tube... looked like the only way to do it after consulting my structural engineer next door. Although it doesn't look like it from this prospective, the frame rails are narrowing toward the rear.  But they need to narrow faster. 
I was getting ready to cut a couple of vertical pieces and decided to see if my thought to just put a saw cut through 3 sides of the tube to start "bending" the tube would work. As far as I can tell a saw cut squeezes a little more than a 1/4 inch a foot.  The cuts are between the red lines.  This seems to be the best way to bend the square tubes, then reweld the cuts. 
Yea, now I can take it back to the saw and finish making the 2 uprights.
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
Robert...Place 2 pcs. of rect. tubing on the "table " of your shop press in the direction of it's width... Now stick the tube to be bent at 90 degrees to them with the bend line centered under the ram. GENTLY apply pressure. It will bend, Trust me.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2022, 12:16:25 AM »
🤔 Or...Lay a scrap of 2X4 on the floor and place one end of the tube on it..Then drive your truck on the tube length wise...Makes a nice radiused bend.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2022, 12:52:00 PM »
Jerry, I'll try the press method... I need the bends in precise spots, and symmetrical, with the rails straight for the first 5 feet... not sure the truck method will do that.  My tubing is 1 1/2 x 1/8 wall.  The round top rail should bend with the roller or the tube bender. 
If I need the tubing bender, I will go borrow it... the owner's son wanted to bend some tubes for a boat project, he may be ready to get the room back in his shop...   8-)   
I an looking at suspension options... as well as front wheel options... thinking of going straight to aluminum wheels and skipping the "maybe we will try the small fronts from the lakester" option. That would un-bump the frontend   :wink:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »
Minor omission...I put the cross tubes under the part to be bent to prevent the press table from gouging the back side of the tube. And you might want to clamp them in place so you don't have to reposition them every time you move your part.🤔 Also keeps them from shooting out and smacking you in the n....navel.  :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2022, 09:49:00 AM »
The navel is a novel way to say what squirrels eat!!!!!. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2022, 11:00:32 PM »
I put the liner on the 20ft table... I haven't welded it down yet, but it is on there.  The other table ran out of room at the end of the motor compartment... so I needed another 10 feet... well this table gives me another 8'. 
I also found a tool I couldn't live without.... a 24" dial caliper...  I already figured out a couple of the parts I made are about 1/32 off... No big deal, they will move around a little when welded.  But if I can make the the same, +/- a couple thou... it will be straighter after welding.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2022, 08:00:27 PM »
In my spare time, I spent a day or so making sure the liner was positioned straight on the new build frame.  I added a center string since John B had the cross pieces he was building on center marked and then outer strings that ran down the cross pieces I had the lakester welded to.  I also center marked those cross pieces... they were all straight and square when I built the lakester, but they did not have center marks since I didn't need them for the lakester. After confirming the liner was straight I tacked it to the table in 4 spots.
I'm sure it is not attached well enough to rotate the table very far... and since it is hanging over the front, it probably will only rotate less than 90 degrees each way.  But I will add a couple of angle brackets to attach it better.
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2022, 07:37:46 AM »
I put the liner on the 20ft table... I haven't welded it down yet, but it is on there.  The other table ran out of room at the end of the motor compartment... so I needed another 10 feet... well this table gives me another 8'. 
I also found a tool I couldn't live without.... a 24" dial caliper...  I already figured out a couple of the parts I made are about 1/32 off... No big deal, they will move around a little when welded.  But if I can make the the same, +/- a couple thou... it will be straighter after welding.

Like me. Short table, long car. Clamps but I bet you don't have enough!!!!!.  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »
LOL. I managed to build a 40ft liner in a 30ft shed without a table! :?
  Sid.