Author Topic: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner  (Read 18945 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2022, 08:53:47 PM »
Jerry, I will be welding, I've seen the results of a bolted together in the middle liner... many years ago.  :?

Bubruins, My next step may be throw a Busa motor up there and determine if I can have any less than 23... I think that is the largest motor I would use.

Mike, I already knew the packaging issues I would have when I rebuilt the lakester... I managed slightly more room in the engine bay... it's still tight.  There are additional things to go in this one maybe... I'm thinking I might need to dry sump this one... we will see.  I cleaned up the shop a little, I had to search for some tools today... found the damn things in the tool box... LOL  :laugh:

Rex, I'm not sure I could build with just a bottom rail.  Not sure how to mount a suspension without upper support... yea I know all kinds of dragsters do it with lighter materials.... but...
I think I will just build it with a removable top bar on one side like the lakester.

This is definitely the school of hard knocks. And then someone tidies up. It just adds to the pressure. LSR is the toughest racing I've come across and I haven't turned a wheel yet.

Offline SpeedRacer93

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
Stainless,

Do you have some detailed pictures on the rear swingarm setup?  Mainly how the wheels are mounted on the shaft.  It is an interesting setup.   Looks like they are using two hubs and then a spacer between the two wheels and then through bolt between the hub, wheel, spacer, wheel, hub assembly.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 09:08:58 PM »
SR93 to be honest, I have looked at the rear setup a couple of times trying to figure out how it is put together.  I can hold one wheel and the other will rotate maybe an 1/8 inch.  I'm not sure how to take it apart... there appears to be a spacer between the wheels, but no external fasteners. I will have to figure it out.
I haven't pulled the sprocket off yet to see what is hiding under it.... so be patient, I'll be looking in there soon.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2022, 05:49:44 PM »
Wonder if there is a big ol' dowel and the sprocket fasteners hold the whole shebang together? :friday
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »
That's where the old center punch went?  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2022, 11:08:22 PM »
He smacked it in there with El Kabong Woody..😁
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SpeedRacer93

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »
SR93 to be honest, I have looked at the rear setup a couple of times trying to figure out how it is put together.  I can hold one wheel and the other will rotate maybe an 1/8 inch.  I'm not sure how to take it apart... there appears to be a spacer between the wheels, but no external fasteners. I will have to figure it out.
I haven't pulled the sprocket off yet to see what is hiding under it.... so be patient, I'll be looking in there soon.
 :cheers:

Looking at the pictures again, I think I know what they are doing.   They have it setup like a fat tire motorcycle swing arm.   The large cross bolt holds everything together in compression.   This bolt also acts as the axle for the "fat" tire.  The hub has bearing that ride on this cross bolt axle.    The sprocket bolts to the hub.  The hub must have pins that go into the wheel stud holes then into the spacer between the wheels.  Again the large cross bolt axle just holds everything in compression via spacers against the the hub bearing inner race.   Most likely the large cross bolt in not tight and that is why you are getting play between the two wheels. 

Offline sabat

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
Looks fantastic! Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but I take it you inherited this project from someone else? -Dean

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2022, 10:10:52 PM »
Yes Dean, John Buddenbaum of BudFab motorcycle streamliner fame started this with his partner Eric Noyes.  He wanted to sell it to pursue other racing interests.... and I bought it. 
It is a project... he had a concept, I can't build things that tight... needed room for heat management so I am adding a couple feet to the middle...
Today I threw a Busa engine up there to see what the challenges were for the biggest engine I have.... and I found them... I had squeezed the back of the engine compartment to 22 inches.... and put a 2 inch pan under it.  I think it will need to be dry sump, and hopefully the pan will be about an inch.  I need more info on the drive and how much it sticks out.  That will help determine how wide I need to be at the back of the engine compartment. 22 is looking a little narrow... :roll:
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2022, 02:02:46 PM »
Might be time for some well placed "aero blisters". They don't add much frontal area and if you do them right the drag increase is much smaller than increasing the total frontal area.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2022, 08:28:18 PM »
Everybody remember that rear axle setup that I couldn't figure out? Well today I figured I better take a good look.  Yep, no external fasteners under the sprocket... but I did see a couple of extra holes, and the same on the brake side.  I figured there must be a something.... The holes were blind, so they weren't used to push the unit apart. Maybe a custom puller.
So I dug in the boxes of stuff that came with the liner... and found a tool...

How it is assembled is it is pressed together on the shaft.  With the lug nuts on the inside, where you can't see them.  In fact, the lug nuts are actually drive pins for the axle.  They go in the holes in the center section.  The sprocket side drives the center section which in turn drives the brake side.  The hubs and center each have 2 bearings
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2022, 08:38:14 PM »
I think it is an interesting idea... and strips down to the axle that bolts to the swing arm.  My guess there is a 3/4 fine thread button for the puller in the boxes, but I didn't find one,  I'll look through them again, before I make one.
It needed to be taken apart, there were notes inside that said the studs were not locktighted and the lug nuts were on with about 30 lbs ft. 
I'll reassemble after I clean the studs and have it ready to go
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2022, 08:49:56 PM »
I love it. Do you know if Buddenbaum had a small engine in mind when this was assembled? This project got lucky when it landed in your garage  :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2022, 10:36:02 PM »
Yes Dean, he was looking at K and J... and it came with a J and a 600 to make into a K.  I am thinking of adding I to the mix as a possibility.  He was looking at unblown, I am adding blown into the mix as well.  Oh, if my I engine fits, then H is also a possibility. The extra length gives room for turbo, intercooler, N20.... ya know... all the stuff required to turn good engines into doorstops.  :roll:
I like to have options  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2022, 09:45:52 AM »
Stainless: Enjoying your latest build!  :cheers:
Having everything in a systematic state of confusion always helps!  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz