Author Topic: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner  (Read 18941 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 04:09:32 PM »
It's a double sided trailing arm, that's roll resistance at it's best & a tail fin just helps you keep the back of the car at the back.
  Sid.
A double-sided trailing arm doesn't do much if the rear wheels are right together.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline bubruins

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 07:19:35 PM »
I was wondering where this one had gone too. Looking forward to see where it goes.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
OK, I now have it to my starting point.  Next up, wait for Pork Pie to draw a little.... or maybe built a firewall frame to get it started....
Yes I plan to reuse swingarm, rear tire set up and anything else... except the cut off frame parts... the tail section was bolted on, so we will see how that fits with the plan later. 
Trying to decide if I will cut what's left off the original build frame and remount it on my rotisserie build frame or not... the cage is all welded
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gowing

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 04:16:52 PM »
How is it driven?  Is there a sprocket in between the rear tires?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 08:44:05 PM »
I guess I didn't post a pic of the drive before it was all disassembled.... but I have one...
not in my shop... :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 11:35:59 PM »
Over the last several weeks I've been cutting, grinding and squaring the back of the cage in preparation to attach the new longer, wider frame.  The bottom rails are 4 feet... about 2 feet longer than the part I cut off...
I have the frame that will support the firewall sized to allow the upper fire wall be to used. 
Yea, nothing is welded... still in the thinking and designing phase.... discussing this plan with the structures engineer making sure the bottom frame (in tension) will be strong enough. 
Right now I have 24 inches wide at the firewall and 23 at the back.... will throw a motor up there to get a minimum width soon.  I need to do some comparisons with the lakester. 
Pork Pie still in the country so no info or shapes from him yet.
Stainless

Offline bubruins

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 08:14:37 AM »
Whole lot of motor options can fit in 23"  :wink:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 11:11:02 AM »
Bolting or welding the new aft section? Carry on.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 07:11:31 PM »
It looks great.

From the comments I can tell that tidying up around the shop has many hidden problems. Tape measures and air blowers can hide in plain sight.
I also work in metric. My country confused me as a kid. We started out using inches and overnight we changed.

Stainless, when I started out I thought all the guys were kidding about packaging and space. I'm all of 5'7" and the car is around 36' and I have huge problems fitting all the components. Total nightmare.

All the best with this one. 🙏👊👊👊

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 12:55:48 PM »
Bob,
You might consider going with a simple set of frame rails, say 1.5x4x.125 wall rectangular tubing, either bolted with some bracing or welded with gussets, no upper rail. My thinking is that working on the engine should be much easier and you don't have to fab things to miss the upper frame rails (because they are not there) that always seem to be in the way. Since it is going to be a flat bottom car make the belly pan out of 1/8 aluminum and screw it to the main frame rails with enough flat head screws so that it becomes a shear panel for the frame rails and keeps them parallel. You don't really need much in the way of bending strength as your engines are pretty light and things like the water tank, fuel tank, battery mount could be bolted right to the floor.

Just a thought,
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2022, 12:27:50 AM »
Jerry, I will be welding, I've seen the results of a bolted together in the middle liner... many years ago.  :?

Bubruins, My next step may be throw a Busa motor up there and determine if I can have any less than 23... I think that is the largest motor I would use.

Mike, I already knew the packaging issues I would have when I rebuilt the lakester... I managed slightly more room in the engine bay... it's still tight.  There are additional things to go in this one maybe... I'm thinking I might need to dry sump this one... we will see.  I cleaned up the shop a little, I had to search for some tools today... found the damn things in the tool box... LOL  :laugh:

Rex, I'm not sure I could build with just a bottom rail.  Not sure how to mount a suspension without upper support... yea I know all kinds of dragsters do it with lighter materials.... but...
I think I will just build it with a removable top bar on one side like the lakester. 
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2022, 08:48:22 AM »
Never a bad idea to go with a proven design.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
Stainless said:   " I had to search for some tools today... found the damn things in the tool box... LOL  :laugh:"

Don't you hate it when some joker does that to you - puts stuff away properly.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2022, 12:14:54 PM »
Almost as bad as after cursing the idiot who left the drawer open you realize you are alone in the shop!
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2022, 03:15:56 AM »
Looking forward to watching this build... So is the guy in the attached image, he just has an elevated view.