Author Topic: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner  (Read 18926 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« on: August 16, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »
Decided to start a thread on the new one... moved stuff from the lakester thread to here

So while we wait I decided to take a look at the liner and start working the plan in my head.  I enlisted one of our teammates that has been slacking for the last 5 years... he has been measuring and drawing... when he gets home in October he will throw the  car in Cad, work on some of the changes we are considering to give us more room for stuff... without screwing up the aero
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:55:32 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

Re: Bockscar 3.0 Streamliner
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »
Who dat in the photo -- Santa Claus?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:57:53 PM »
Stan, I do believe that's the well-known Mr. P. Pie.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 12:58:59 PM »
The clues -

one of our teammates that has been slacking for the last 5 years...
he has been measuring and drawing...
when he gets home in October he will throw the car in Cad, work on some of the changes we are considering to give us more room for stuff... without screwing up the aero

I suspect I know who this slacker might be.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:09:16 PM »
I suspect everyone knows Mr Schweinekuchen is in the country and now looking at the streamliner.  He plans to make a cad drawing so we can fit parts and have a good record of what is/was where.  I think we are going to stretch the engine compartment to make room for required stuff so we will also use cad to keep the lines right.  He has been measuring and drawing... and then checking to be sure he has it.  I thought I had a tape measure with metric marks but it was hiding.  We grabbed one since he is more familiar with meters than inches...
Why do Americans work in something that takes 12 to a unit of measure and then divide it by 16....  :dhorse:
I will keep that since my anweisung and dimensions will come in metric...
Having fun while we wait for salt  :cheers: :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »
Has a little Mercedes T80 look going there.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SpeedRacer93

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 12:43:01 PM »
I was wondering where that streamliner went too.  Good start with an interesting rear setup.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »
Gee, Stainless, things look so clean in the shop. Are you sure you can find anything now?

John

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 06:59:32 PM »
Perhaps a new thread?
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 10:31:48 AM »
Well it's been gathering dust while I built and fine tuned the Bockscar.  I think I have the lakester in good shape so now I can put a little attention toward the streamliner.  As I stated before I think it needs more space inside.  That is what we are looking at now.  Pork Pie will CAD it then present options for extending motor compartment for more room for turbo, intercooler, fire bottles, etc... It is built now for NA, but may not have enough room as is.  Heat management will require more space. 
Not to worry Sam, when I start working on it I will start a new thread... This is just filler while I wait for salt to dry... or maybe I'll move part of this thread to a new one.... we will see...  :roll:
 :cheers:

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 11:10:21 PM »
Well as all y'all  can see after we found out the WoS was cancelled I decided to take the suggestion and move the streamliner stuff to its own thread.  It may be a while till you see much action, but maybe not... I already know a few things I need to do before I get drawings...
John, it only looks cleaned up...  :roll:
Let the fun begin...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 11:34:07 PM »
Here's the starting point... I think I will be "back halfing" the car... that basically means about a 2 ft stretch... with a little less taper...
I'm thinking 5.5 to 6 inches wide at the back for easy chutes... and probably exhaust, but all that depends on how the drawings look when Pork Pie gets done. 
I'm going to try to not get too far ahead of him.  :roll:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 01:25:14 PM »
Bob, it looks as if you have almost zero roll resistance in the rear. You need a big vertical fin.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »
It's a double sided trailing arm, that's roll resistance at it's best & a tail fin just helps you keep the back of the car at the back.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 03:25:36 PM »
Yea, the way it sits now the center of pressure is almost at the front wheels... Of course when the rear wheels and body is added it should move back  :roll:  :laugh:

While I was digging around I pulled the water tank that was up front... Hey, there's a radiator in the tank... Cool

It will end up with a fin... currently has a swing arm in rear that makes the 2 tires in the back like a really wide single... kinda like those drag bikes that  don't need a kick stand.  More on this area later... like after I figure out how the rear end is put together.
Stainless