Author Topic: Go Get Sam a Tire...  (Read 7674 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Go Get Sam a Tire...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 12:02:56 AM »
The next time I just won't ask. But you can bet if Porky needs something and I have the last one in existance you can bet I would destroy it before he every sees it. :evil: (but I would send him photos)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
The next time I just won't ask. But you can bet if Porky needs something and I have the last one in existance you can bet I would destroy it before he every sees it. :evil: (but I would send him photos)

Heh Jimmy, could be that you need also some/same tire :-D

or did I forgot to write in German :|

but for sure, you got a dry humor :wink:

See ya...and it's Christmas Time
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »
I don't know all the particulars, but I heard the tire was originally used on Shirley Muldowny's digger. It would be neat to hear the details of how it was chosen.......

Until Shirley went on her head in Canada, TF cars were using MoPed tires on the front.
It came off the rim and wrapped around the steering and put her in a ditch.
Goodyear developed the front tire they use today in a 17 inch rim size and it was a copy of the LSR tires they made for LSR in 18 inch, and used by Vesco and a number of others.
While it has been unsaid here, if the TF front tire is used, it requires a special longer side bead and enough air to maintain the seal.
I am not sure but the Honda Hawk may have had a slightly wider version of the same 18  inch tire or maybe just a wider rim that would have been a mistake.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
Inesponse to the omniscient one's post - I think I corrected his "MOPED" tire statement once before, Top Fuel cars were running 2:25/17 Avon Speedmasters and 200:18 Metzler 50cc roadracing tires prior to Shirley's crash.
 They may have been moped sized, but were engineered for high speed operation by the MOTORCYCLE world of the time.
I ain't saying they were suitable for 250 mph plus at all, but let's keep it accurate!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 11:28:05 PM »
Mets for a 50cc = MoPed
They were the same construction as the street tire with less tread rubber and compounded soft for Road Racing.
Dunlap. Conti. ,and Avon made the same thing., and none of them were suited to the TF application.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »
the tires that were predominant in the era of shirleys crash ( there were a number of marked failures/ crashes at the same era / time) were MOPED diameter 18 "tires. The problem was that they did not have enough side wall and / or enough rim radial thickness to help support the sidewall bead etc in any amount of side loading.

the actual problem was that the tube came out, and wrapped around the spindle not allowing any steering.

there were rims that were developed later that had more radial side support (thickness) that did work well,...but then the tires were not allowed.

WE call it a MOPED
because they ARE....

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »
A welll known Lakester with M+H Funny Car fronts would roll to a stop after a run at El Mirage with dirt clods on the inside.
Kato is old, don't pay him no mind. LOL

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
It would be useless to find a tire for Sam the same as the one that he has been using since the build of the E-Z Hook.  The tires were made some 15 years ago.  The tire was only good for about 335 mph.  The tire presents a problem above this speed as it chunks the rubber off.  Sam was only getting two runs on the last few tires that he had after he got the mighty E-Z Hook running at speeds of over 340 mph.  There are no 2.5"X17"  or 3.0"X17" tires currently being made, or ever have been made, that have a speed rating needed to go 355+mph.  This is not Sam's only tire problem. 
     The rear tire, which is a shaved Goodyear Frontrunner, is also at it's limit at 350 mph.  Same problem.  The tire chunks the rubber off.  Both Sam and Denis use this tire.  The fastest that this tire has ever gone to my knowledge is in the three wheeled Fueling car.  The tires made it to 360 mph, and they started to self destruct. 
     During the 354 mph run made by Denis Manning, the rear, shaved Goodyear Frontrunner tire experienced chunking.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 09:08:57 PM »
A proper breaking in procedure would substantially increase the tire capability.
While their is a shelf life expectancy for a tire, a new one is better but if they were not broken with some flex and heat cycles the bond from the tread to the casing won't fully cure and then you have chunking.
Shaving reduces the unsupported load by removing some of the rubber but they would get better service if they ran them around on a small car for a couple of hundred miles before shaving.
The same methods apply to MC tires.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 06:52:23 AM »
It would be useless to find a tire for Sam the same as the one that he has been using since the build of the E-Z Hook.  The tires were made some 15 years ago.  The tire was only good for about 335 mph.  The tire presents a problem above this speed as it chunks the rubber off.  Sam was only getting two runs on the last few tires that he had after he got the mighty E-Z Hook running at speeds of over 340 mph.  There are no 2.5"X17"  or 3.0"X17" tires currently being made, or ever have been made, that have a speed rating needed to go 355+mph.  This is not Sam's only tire problem. 
     The rear tire, which is a shaved Goodyear Frontrunner, is also at it's limit at 350 mph.  Same problem.  The tire chunks the rubber off.  Both Sam and Denis use this tire.  The fastest that this tire has ever gone to my knowledge is in the three wheeled Fueling car.  The tires made it to 360 mph, and they started to self destruct. 
     During the 354 mph run made by Denis Manning, the rear, shaved Goodyear Frontrunner tire experienced chunking.

You can be sure, if this German Producer is going for to produce this tire for Sam, it will be not the only size - than it will be a complete series with different size for the speed community
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)