Author Topic: Go Get Sam a Tire...  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Lucky13

• New folks
Go Get Sam a Tire...
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »
Lets find Sam a tire or two?
Come on guys & gals, we all know Sam can get the record, he already proved he was the fastest motorcycle streamliner on the planet @ 355 and change? He proved he can do it and his old tire proved that it couldn?t handle the forces involved... Call all your friends, have them call all their friends and go find Sam at least one good 17? tire to go out and show the world what he can do?
I thought it was truly heart wrenching to see the way our buddy Sam was looking so defeated after he ran a fuzz over 355 only to have his tire let go in the process leaving him with nary a chance of making a back up run?
Sam said that he was going to throw in the towel after this, I hardly think so, I think it?s more like Sam is going to turn up the boost once again and go show us all what he can do, any bets on this one???

Lucky 13

P.S. I hope his name is Sam, I'm such an idiiot, I don't know <sigh> Anyway, you all know who I'm talking about, don't you???

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Go Get Sam a Tire...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:32:41 PM »
Yep, it's Sam. Sam Wheeler.
E-Z-Hook Motorcycle Streamliner
http://www.streamliner.com/
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »
It was hard luck to see Sam's tire let go.  But it was great to see him run 355+.  I can only hope he gets a few tires and has another shot at the record.  My hat is off to him and the others.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:56 PM »
Many of us have been there in similar circumstances. LSR guys are fighters, if they we're they wouldn't be there. Sam will find ways to overcome his problems. I wish him the very best and offer my help for anything I can provide.

Offline Xea

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
Any word on the German tire?
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »
As I understand it the tire failed because the wheel didn't have a safety bead on the inner side and as the tire grew it sucked it in and caused it to deflate. This came from Rick Vesco and showed Sam the problem.
I also hope there will be tires available for everyone. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »
Any word on the German tire?

Sorry, can't make a Christmas present to Sam - but Heinz is very busy on this - an answer will be January/February 07 when everything goes right.

I will keep the speed community update, for sure.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 01:24:35 PM »
Being somewhat familiar with Sams M/C but totally unfamiliar with his tire need, one who knows or Sam should state what is needed IE: what exact size is it, is it a true Bonneville specific tire, manufacture?
I ask this because a lot of guys bought up stuff from others and may not know what they have is needed. Thanks
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
Being somewhat familiar with Sams M/C but totally unfamiliar with his tire need, one who knows or Sam should state what is needed IE: what exact size is it, is it a true Bonneville specific tire, manufacture?
I ask this because a lot of guys bought up stuff from others and may not know what they have is needed. Thanks

Heinz got every necessary information from Sam during the BUB meet, don't worry :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Xea

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 02:06:43 PM »
I don't know all the particulars, but I heard the tire was originally used on Shirley Muldowny's digger. It would be neat to hear the details of how it was chosen.......
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:24:31 PM »
Pork...You have no idea what is garages all over this country but apparently you know best......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
Pork...You have no idea what is garages all over this country but apparently you know best......

Oops, Jimmy, can you translate this in English English that I can understand this with my short English :|
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »

Oops, Jimmy, can you translate this in English English that I can understand this with my short English :|

This is my best JD translation :wink::

If people knew exactly what tire Sam needs someone might have one in their garage/shop/home that could be given to Sam.

c ya,

Sum

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

If people knew exactly what tire Sam needs someone might have one in their garage/shop/home that could be given to Sam.

c ya,

Sum

Sum, this is now a JD translation.......but is this also a Jimmy Six translation :wink:

I think Sam's problem is that there is in the moment world wide no tire which will match to Sam's bike the way as he needs. Sam stand for the same problem as Wilhelm Herz fifty years ago - extreme bike to race but no tires.
Continental  produced a special tire to fix Wilhelms problem - hope they keep the tradition and they do now the same for Sam and the other Speed Freaks.
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »

c ya,

Sum

Sum, this is now a JD translation.......but is this also a Jimmy Six translation :wink:

I think Sam's problem is that there is in the moment world wide no tire which will match to Sam's bike the way as he needs. Sam stand for the same problem as Wilhelm Herz fifty years ago - extreme bike to race but no tires.
Continental  produced a special tire to fix Wilhelms problem - hope they keep the tradition and they do now the same for Sam and the other Speed Freaks.

Are they working on any other tire sizes? 

I think Sam's tire might be so specific to his application that it might not help that many other people if they just developed the one tire size.

c ya,

Sum