Author Topic: Round bottom versus flat bottom aero  (Read 34388 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Round bottom versus flat bottom aero
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
This car was just a little bit complex :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »
Incredible!  Absolutely Incredible!  Just Great to see.  Thanks.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2006, 03:53:32 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the fantastics pictures of the Golden Rod! I really did not get a true feeling for the amount of work and engineering that went into this car. So typical of the kind of work that the Sumers did. I think that an old friend of mine, Don Borth, did alot of the aluminum work. He did most of Mickey's Challenger and I also think he did work on the Golden Rod body which would explain why it was so smooth. Don was a real artisan with aluminum.

Thanks again.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the fantastics pictures of the Golden Rod! I really did not get a true feeling for the amount of work and engineering that went into this car. So typical of the kind of work that the Sumers did. I think that an old friend of mine, Don Borth, did alot of the aluminum work. He did most of Mickey's Challenger and I also think he did work on the Golden Rod body which would explain why it was so smooth. Don was a real artisan with aluminum.

Thanks again.

Rex
It was Mickey Thompson's father who done the bodywork on the Challenger - see Mickey Thompson's book.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2006, 08:12:39 PM »
Since there seemed to be much interest in the Goldenrod and many comments concerning the aerodynamic design and application, many might find the SAE paper 660390 equally entertaining. The paper was written all about the Goldenrod and covers the aerodynamic testing in the Caltech 10ft tunnel as well.

SAE papers are generally available in the SAE transactions for any given year. A good research librarian will help find what you want.

Another good article on the Goldenrod is from the Feb 1966 Sports Car Graphic.

Enjoy and Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2006, 06:20:10 AM »
The complete story is in Walter Korff's "Designing Tomorrow's cars" - the first publish of this book was 1980.
Pork Pie

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
Walter Korff was also the author of the two 1966 publications that I listed. He did some very insightful work. Korff also wrote the SAE paper, "The Body Engineer's Role in Automobile Aerodynamics", presented in 1963. I understood that it was that paper that made the Summers work possible.

Although I have not read his book, I am sure that he must cite his SAE works as well.

Throughout history in the US, there have been many gearheads that have done things in aerospace and automobile technology at the same time. Korff was certainly one of those.

Regards,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »
PorkPie
I have pictures somewhere of Don Borth making both the nose and the rear portion of the Challenger at Mickey's shop in Long Beach. Mick's dad certainly may have helped but Don was the craftsman that did the difficult parts.
Rex
Rex

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2006, 01:03:21 PM »
I agree with Rex as I was at his shop many times during the build of the whole car. Don was a master craftsman with alum.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2006, 02:42:14 PM »
I agree with Rex as I was at his shop many times during the build of the whole car. Don was a master craftsman with alum.
So you are saying, Mickey Thompson is not correct what he tells in his book????
Pork Pie

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »
In my copy of Challenger by Thompson-Borgeson on pg. 115 it says "Don Borth of El Monte, a master craftsman with sheet aluminum, was still ironing out the body panels at his shop.
Yes Mickey's dad helped but Don was involved, a reread might be in order.    :lol:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2006, 08:39:09 PM »
Nolan did it with 1 BBC and as far as wind tunnel results, he would just shut the door.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »
In my copy of Challenger by Thompson-Borgeson on pg. 115 it says "Don Borth of El Monte, a master craftsman with sheet aluminum, was still ironing out the body panels at his shop.
Yes Mickey's dad helped but Don was involved, a reread might be in order.    :lol:
Alright, I done this book out again - so as have to understand them now, Mickey's dad done the wooden mock up which was used to get the aluminium in  shape - if you read the comment to one of the picture, it sounds first, that he done the base work and Don done the finish.
Pork Pie

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »
Certainly nothing against Mickey's dad, I never knew the man, but there is a lot of difference between making the body buck and actually making the aluminum fit to it, both take some skill but I know that Don could do both not sure if Mickey's dad could do the aluminum part. Maybe DT could comment on this, he was just a young squirt at the time but I am sure that he would know. Danny if you are reading any of this please comment.

Rex
Rex

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
both take some skill
Rex
I know, I done both :wink:
Pork Pie