Author Topic: What the hell, it's only salt  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Bob Drury

What the hell, it's only salt
« on: July 11, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
   I was picking up a pile of newspapers scattered about by the new puppy and lo and behold came across a very unsettling article in the July 3rd, 2022 Sunday Oregonian.  The Article was from the Associated Press, written by Keith Ridler and released on July 2nd.  It is listed under Science and Environment.
  This article is titled "U.S. testing new fire retardant, critics push other methods." 
  What it will tell You is how much We spend every year dropping the red fire retardant from airplanes.  Apparently this year they will be trying a "NEW CHEAPER AND BETTER' fire retardant offered by FORTRESS whose CEO explains : 'THE MAIN INGREDIEN IN FORTRESS PRODUCS, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, IS EXTRACTED FROM THE GREAT SALT LAKE IN UTAH."
  I nearly crapped My pants in excitement as I read how last year The Forrest Service only used fifty million gallons of the slurry. Now how do You suppose where they might get mining permits for the Salt?  Whom is going to give them those permits, and one might want to take home a "small sample" of salt this year to show to Your Grandkid's.
  You can google this article using the information I listed at the top of this post.  I just hit nine years sober and might just visit the liquor store real fucking soon.
  Wish I could make it to Speedweek but the American Pharmacutical Industry is sucking up My Race Car Budget.  Good Luck to All.                   
                                                                                                              "One Run" Bob Drury
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:00:31 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: What the hell, it's only salt
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »
Bob, the article said the salt came from "The Great Salt Lake", not Bonneville.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »
  Yep, and the water level in the Great Salt Lake is dropping.  Go figure...............
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 09:36:04 PM »
Bob!

ORB!

How in the hell are you!!!  How about posting the video of the push car chasing you.  Or was it the other way around?

So good to seeing you posting again.  I miss your posts, I miss you.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
   Manta,  Not trying to make a big deal over Your post but I am looking at a map of Utah and if You follow the outline of the Evaporation Basin of which includes Bonneville, up in the Northeast corner it clearly shows a connection to Great Salt Lake.  Now where would be the best place to mine 50 million gallons of slurry from a facility already built?
p.s.  It's real close to the starting line.
                                                                        "One Run", out.............................................................

e
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
  Stan, thanx for the kind words.  I am aiming for next year if health and finances cooperate and My crew stop's dying on me..................ORB, out.................
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 12:36:26 PM »
  Stan, thanx for the kind words.  I am aiming for next year if health and finances cooperate and My crew stop's dying on me..................ORB, out.................

You may be right but it seems like an awful long drive on I-80 from Wendover to SLC.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 12:56:00 PM »
Not if you were Freud.   He seemed to be coming back when he was going.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline will6er

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 10:24:15 PM »
If you've been by the lake lately, they'll have to rename it Great Silt Lake.

Will Willis  6302 XO/GC

Offline AJR192

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 11:47:49 PM »
Bob, there are several places that produce Mag Chloride from the Great Salt Lake. Most of them are based around Grantsville, Promontory and Ogden. Not to say that there could be people looking at Bonneville as a source, but the logistics of establishing a new facility anywhere around Bonneville would be a challenge. There is also a fairly large spotlight on the places that are currently destroying Bonneville. Most sane people would avoid being added to that list.