Author Topic: portable weather stations  (Read 2790 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
portable weather stations
« on: December 11, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
what are you all using? looking for something for the trailer. I am a bit of a data geek and have always wanted to track barometric changes. looking for these features. if someone knows of one that calculates corrected altitude, all the better.

Barometric Pressure & Trend
Altitude
Relative Humidity & Dew Point
Wind Chill & Heat Stress Index
Air, Water, & Snow Temperature
Current & Average Wind Speed
Maximum Wind Gust

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: portable weather stations
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
SCTA/BNI uses Davis weather stations and is interfaced with our timing computer. The time slip has all of the data printed out for each run. Also the ERC fuel truck has a weather station as well.

The starters ask about wind conditions down course for all very fast vehicles. We keep an eye on it and also announce the conditions.

Davis toll free no. 1-800-676-3669
Customer service e-mail  sales@davis.net

Great products

Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
Here is the link to the one I use:

http://www.ambientweather.com/ke40hawestor.html

As I remember I only paid around $240 for it. I like it, because of it size and you get a certificate of accuracy with it. Good luck and let me know what you think.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
If you are bit of a data geek and looking for weather stations for your tralier, then you may also want to look at the Alta Labs (Alta Com I or II) http://www.altalabinstrument.com/index.html, or the Computech Weather stations http://www.computechracing.com/.  They specialize in motorsports and widely used in Drag racing to Nascar.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:06:36 PM by Nitroholic »

Offline lsrvette

• New folks
    • LSR Performance Group
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
bbb, for what it's worth, we use a Davis Vantage PRO2 for recording Team Arrow's weather.  The bike streamliner does not like wind.  I think you will find the Davis a very good instrument.  It will do all the measurements you requested except "snow" - Since we run for home long before the snow flies; we have never had the need.  I set the base altitude to the airport elevation, latitude and longitude and the rest is automatic.  The unit has a wireless sensor pod that is solar powered.  The head unit mounts in our trailer or out on one of our tables when the weather is nice.  During the off season, the unit hangs in my house.

We have had some very interesting readings over the years... 70MPH wind and a salt encrusted anemometer (it was 20' above the ground), humidity swings from 30% to 2% during night to day transition... 1" plus rain in less than 30min... lots of fun stuff  :-)

John
John
569 Spirits of the Lakes

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:46:48 PM »
thanks for all the useful information. now I have some reading to do while visting the outlaws :roll: for the holidays. thanks to all.