Author Topic: tire slip, paved runway vs dry lake  (Read 991 times)

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
tire slip, paved runway vs dry lake
« on: April 27, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »
I have a number of years experience running El Mirage (22 runs since 2017). I have recently spent some time with LTA and ECTA (12 runs total of which 4 were "licensing").

My Moto Guzzi motorcycle is lucky to reach 140. I run skinny tires at high pressures (110 width at 45 psi). When I run El Mirage, the tires do not look worn or really get worn. I had them shaved by Nate Jones in 2017 and they lasted just fine for years. One trip to LTA (Loring) and one trip to ECTA at Blythville and 1 tire is down to the cords, and the other is not far behind.

Should I consider regular pressures for higher grip/traction?
Is tire slip somehow worse on asphalt (or concrete) than dry mud?
(or when there is slip on pavement, it it worse for tires?)

I'm sure I'm gettting tire slip because my RPMs were way too high given my speed.

Thoughts?

Mike

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: tire slip, paved runway vs dry lake
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 10:41:58 PM »
For sure the more abrasive (higher traction) the surface the harder it is on the tires when they spin.  Many tires at Bonneville are killed by wheel spin.  I'm kinda impressed you bike has wheelspin on asphalt at high speed.   
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
...  I'm kinda impressed you bike has wheelspin on asphalt at high speed.

Skinny tires at high pressure, poor aero.

I remember putting a race motor into a touring bike with bags and a windjammer barn door fairing (still 2.15" rims, rear tire no bigger than a 120). Once I hit 90+, I could feel the rear tire slipping trying to push that barn door down I-95 to Daytona one year.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »
Just as a reference, I had to lower my psi on my rear tire once I started moving way up in the HP/speed.  Found out that there is a balance between rolling resistance and traction on asphalt.  Also, I started using tire warmers.  Originally, was in the 45 psi range....dropped to the 30-35 psi range.