Author Topic: MC Bonneville Advice  (Read 2615 times)

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
MC Bonneville Advice
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »
I am planning on making a trip to Bonneville - running a prepped ZX14 in an attempt to go 200MPH. I am looking for advice on which would be the best event. I know there are a couple SCTA events, the BUB event and the USFA event. I would appreciate some advice - My priorities would include - most opportunities to run, safest conditions, fastest event for street bike, friendliest racing enviroment, best expected weather (coolest and dry) - and manageable tech. Teched at Maxton fine..... will do two or three events at Maxton to prepare. No intent of setting records except personal accomplishments and chasing some old Vincent
achievements (meaningless to anyone but me) - we don't do teardowns where I come from :) just race what we ride and ride what we race...... Kevin

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: MC Bonneville Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »
The first available event date is selected with a lot of weather experience and happens to be Speed Week.
Pass one up and it is gone forever with no chance to make it up.
Betting on a later date is reducing your chances.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:32:18 PM »
If you never have been to Speed Week I would give up some runs to experience that.  If you have no interest in cars, streamliners, lakesters, etc. then pass that up and do BUB.  You will get in more runs there.

Since they are a couple weeks apart do them both.  Run at both or be a spectator at Speed Week and a participant at BUB.  Take a vacation between and see the west  :-).

c ya,

Sum

Offline kspz3

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:50:44 PM »
Any ideas on how many runs can be expected at the various events.......
How is the salt at speed week - with all the cars running does it get rougher as the week goes on.
Is August the hottest time of year there? How does it compare with Sept and Oct.
What are thoughts on the USFA - World of Speed Event?
The Speed Week event sounds as though it would be great to be a part of - but also sounds as though it is really full - and I am wondering if it is appropriate for a rookie attempt.
Kevin

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »
The WOS event by the USFRA has always been a great meet for our group of motorcycles,friendly folks and not too uptight.Not usually too crowded,weather mostly good.
 Number of runs will increase as the meet goes on--people break, get records, leave, and everyone gets into the groove.
The salt does get affected by the cars as the meets run, you can run to one side or the other of the course to try and overcome this.
Bubs does not have this problem,but they are still getting their act together organizationally. The wait in line this year was horrible.Hope they can get that fixed.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:08:51 PM »
     Old Vincent achievments are meaningFULL to a lot of people, Max with his liner,support people, and pick up crew a prime example. 

Pick any meet and GO FOR IT!  Experience of a life time, but can become very addicting.

Maxton is very friendly, great place to get in speed fixes throughout a good part of the year and as many runs as you need to prepare for the salt bears.

Offline kspz3

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »
     Old Vincent achievments are meaningFULL to a lot of people, Max with his liner,support people, and pick up crew a prime example. 

Pick any meet and GO FOR IT!  Experience of a life time, but can become very addicting.

Maxton is very friendly, great place to get in speed fixes throughout a good part of the year and as many runs as you need to prepare for the salt bears.

Any idea on how many runs you can expect at the various events?