Author Topic: CP, COG, weight transfer  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Happy Pappy

Re: CP, COG, weight transfer
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM »
Good luck in figuring it out. I can tell you this much, we don't run on a drag strip we run on a course, this course changes from one run to the next. Try running behind the Beast or the 911, these high HP heavy cars just eat up the fragile surface. Sure you can add suspension, which many including myself have done. Still it's not going to be the ends-all solution.
Here's a video of the 62 getting sucked into the center of the course due to the soft middle. Car has always just blown through anything El Mirage put in front of it, just not this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-FcnkWLZg

I am not sure how to take a video from my FB page but there is an in-car video of the above spin that clearly shows the course condition & it's affect on the cars attitude.

Just Trying to Help

Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 01:04:27 PM »
Wouldn't the front left be light and right rear be heavy under acceleration?
327,B/GR

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 02:57:29 PM »
That spin was crazy and what a great save! Nicely done!!

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »
The car is twisting under power, so the right rear is unloading itself as the ring gear is trying to "climb" the pinion...

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2022, 04:19:13 PM »
LOL. Yeah great save. Nothing but luck, unlike Bonneville you can't see $hit! nothing but brown dust and dirt. Just happened to pull the chute at the right time... Just don't tell anyone  :wink:

Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 07:47:01 PM »
I spun our lakester car #1000 at Bonneville one year going about 200MPH. The canopy came off, the car stayed on its wheels, and all I could see was a cloud of white and blue sky
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »
The car is twisting under power, so the right rear is unloading itself as the ring gear is trying to "climb" the pinion...

The ring gear and pinion is a closed system and has no effect on the weight transfer.  The right rear is unloading and left rear loading due to the driveline torque acting on the axle and being reacted through the chassis.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 09:40:49 PM »

The ring gear and pinion is a closed system and has no effect on the weight transfer.  The right rear is unloading and left rear loading due to the driveline torque acting on the axle and being reacted through the chassis.

So you've pretty much repeated what I already said minus my input on how to fix the issue. What's your idea on how to keep both tires planted under power?

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 11:38:40 PM »
Independent rear suspension and driveline torque tube, a la Porsche 944 and others.

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2022, 12:12:14 PM »
Is 40/60 a general idea even on longer wheelbase ( as I plan ca 120".
As I got it the CP is important to get the car like a arrow.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »
I don't know all that CP stuff.

I think that 60/40 would be better, but you'd never hook up at El Mirage.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
I see lots of comments about front and back but not a lot of people take into account what's going on under power. Setting up even side to side weight is fine when the car is stopped, but under acceleration that goes right out the window. Watch drag racing with cars who's suspensions aren't set up and you'll understand. Under power the car is trying to twist itself with both the left front and right rear trying to pick themselves off the pavement. On massively high HP cars, the right rear is actually forward (not square) to compensate for the left side pushing harder. On less HP cars they run either a rear "sway" bar with more cross weight put in or just crank up the right spring pressure on a non bar setup. Years ago I started watching videos (both in car and out) of cars spinning out at El Mirage and Bonneville trying to figure it out. The majority of times the car hangs a hard right (left rear tire planted!) or a dance to the left from overcorrecting. Landspeed racing is just a really long drag strip where both tires need to be planted evenly all the way through...

That is eggzactly what Eddie Marlin did to get their  roadster over 300

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2022, 11:50:57 PM »
what did eddie do. the car does not have a rear sway bar