Author Topic: Sealing/filling trim holes  (Read 932 times)

Offline fissionspeed

Sealing/filling trim holes
« on: March 31, 2022, 12:42:50 PM »
In the process of stripping my BFMMP for bodywork and such, I seem to have misplaced the plastic pedestal upon which my factory antenna sat, leaving a hole about the size of a quarter in my fender. If I glue a 3-D printed backing plug in that, am I streamlining? Or do I need to go wrangle up another antenna pedestal? What about a metal patch, ground flush to the panel? Mathematically speaking, this has not changed the "contour" of the panel, but I'm quite wary of adding anything that Chevy didn't stamp into that panel.

Antenna pedestals are likely not hard to find, but I felt like this would make a nice question for someone to find via the search function in the future.

Offline MRK

Re: Sealing/filling trim holes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 01:56:43 PM »
In the process of stripping my BFMMP for bodywork and such, I seem to have misplaced the plastic pedestal upon which my factory antenna sat, leaving a hole about the size of a quarter in my fender. If I glue a 3-D printed backing plug in that, am I streamlining? Or do I need to go wrangle up another antenna pedestal? What about a metal patch, ground flush to the panel? Mathematically speaking, this has not changed the "contour" of the panel, but I'm quite wary of adding anything that Chevy didn't stamp into that panel.

Antenna pedestals are likely not hard to find, but I felt like this would make a nice question for someone to find via the search function in the future.
Since MP and MMP run under Gas Coupe rules, minor trim is allowed to be removed. I would consider this minor trim but without seeing exactly what your talking about, it's tough to make a hard call. The best thing is to send your inquiry to Jim Dunn who is the SCTA Truck Committee chair along with images of what you propose to do. You can include myself as well. This way you have proof of whatever decision is made.
Our contact information can be found in section 16 of your rule book.
Regards,
Mike Kaehny
SCTA Record Certification Officer
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline KATIE

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
'm thinking that if you would have ordered that truck with the "RADIO DELEAT" option, that there would not be a hole?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »
Have never seen a race vehicle with a radio antenna or plastic mount.... You can fill holes as long as you do not change the body contour... your body is metal... anything that is not that metal can go. 
Don't read anything into the rules....

But it also never hurts to contact the tech chair for clarification... but remember they are volunteers... this is not their full time job so it may take time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O