Author Topic: Rule questions ex D/GR  (Read 3323 times)

Offline HNORD

• New folks
Re: Rule questions ex D/GR
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 01:49:32 PM »
Of course.
I did try e-mail but both that and tech and mail is coming back.
As I said, this is just humble questions for now.
I'm from Sweden but had race in USA before, in NHRA stock.
Just got the idea to reaseach to get into a project on a FH NA roadster.

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
In my OP I had several question regards GR class and use the flathead.

Mayby this held some lights for others.

I did talk to tech.

First, I can run at Bonneville as a Swede.

The webside is down so it can be any rule book order ( just now )

I can run category D if I like, but maybe better is to run XF.

On firewall/cowld I don’t need that.

Wheelbase can be max around 117” ( depending on wheels ) and max chassie/body lenghts is 143”.

Engine can be moved max 25% from wheelbase from king pins to sparklug Nr1.

Rear wheels can max go behind body at 1”.

Bellypan is a NO in GR class but one can make a belly under frame from firewall location to 10” in front of rear axle centre.

So that was good info.

I calculated at 6600 RPM and 1;1 in transmission and 2.75 at rear and 28” tall tires it’s 200 MPH.

Well on a stock block US made FH just under 300 cu;in, and NA on gas and a A-Ford grille at a DA around 7.000 - it shore will not be easy...
Even if all low friction parts aviable is used I need maybe ++350 HP on rearwheel at sealeval chassie dyno.

Anyway, I did order 29 roadster body parts today.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:37:53 AM by HNORD »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 08:54:06 PM »
"Wheelbase can be max around 117? ( depending on wheels )"

Wheelbase has nothing to do with tire diameter.  It's center axle to center axle.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 09:10:55 PM »
I think we needed about 600-700 HP to break 200 with this similar Gas (Street) Roadster.  That's quite a challenge with a flathead  .  .  .

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 05:47:02 AM »
I might be wrong here on the wheelbase, but max lenghts of body in GR class is = 143".
If one use ex 28" wheels front and back.
I got that info rear of wheels can not go more out than 1" of body.
-So a good point, is the 143" from body or end of wheels, as that sett the 'wheelbase'.
My guess it can be max around 115-117", or ?

Yes it take allot of power to go 200 MPH in a gas roadster but not 700, but air is thin and no blower make it maybe impossible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:33:21 AM by HNORD »

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
Believe it or not, there is no limit to wheel base in the gas roadster class. Rear axle location has a rule but you can huck the front axle as far out as you want to go. Now on the other hand, modified roadsters do have a wheel base limit, go figure.  :dhorse:
Also we are very similar to Stan Back as far as power plant, we made 702HP on a chassis dyno and our best was only 213mph
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 09:19:02 AM by deepindebt »
327,B/GR

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 11:48:02 AM »
Ok but there is a total lenghts, right at 143", so is that on body or end of tires.
Yes 200 MPH is hard and maybe impossible, math is one hing hardcore power another.
In this thread 'Ronnieroadster' told he made a record pass at 219 MPH with his blown gas FH, but that was a lakester - but I hardly think he made near at 6-700 HP on the rear.
But shore he has a fast car and that one cut air better, but he did a awsome work !
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:01:19 PM by HNORD »

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 01:01:58 AM »
Ok, if there are no wheelbase rule in GR.
Say one use ex 115.5” and std 29 roadster has it at 103.5”, so that’s 12” longer.
One can move engine back 25% of wheelbase from wheel axle to sparkplug Nr1.
So that means near 29” back.
But as wheelbase is 12” longer the frame get longer but one can remove the cowld.
29” minus 12” is = 17” and my guess the cowld is around that lenghts so engine will be near the new firewall, if I get this correct.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:04:43 AM by HNORD »

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 08:18:35 AM »
As said before, get your rule book and read it 3 times. If we were to build a new roadster and wanted to keep up with the really fast guys, we would build it long and low! Horse power only pushes you so fast and then comes the arrow brick wall.
327,B/GR

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 11:39:02 AM »
Until I get the book I can humble ask, and new into landspeed I might even ask after I get the 'book' some.
I know some thing I ask might se plain stuped.
After all it's a forum and thread here is on rules ( then one can hope on help )
As I talked to tech yesterday and they said it was not free wheelbase in gas roadsters.
( of course I might got that wrong )
It is not the best idea to build a car by read the rule book in a foreign language and not ask anyone and get to Bonneville from Sweden and end upp most is wrong.
Convert words as in a rule book is not the best idea aswell.
I do has a tech guy I can ask now.
But I see it as a learning curve and it's a forum.

-How much effect a longer wheelbase gas roadster with a A-Ford grille vs a belly lakesters on air/HP when we are at around 200 MPH.
Do the lakester need 1-2-300 HP less vs the air situation, or how does it works out there.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
Most lakesters are more streamlined than most roadsters.  Most lakesters require less horsepower than most roadsters to go the same speed.

Almost all lakesters (and roadsters) differ quite a bit from each other and don't share aero figures.  Each and every one is different, too.  Each is built with the ideas of the individual builder.  Some may stay with traditional styles because of choice and the rules.  Others try innovation that always doesn't work.   

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 07:15:41 PM »
Yes, if one get 100 MPH instead of the idea of 200 then a big learning curve will start.
I understand there are many way to race, just has fun, has a cool old style look or try go as fast one can vs own experiance, time and money.
It don?t need much error until one dont get the idea of the speed in mind.
But I guess that is a part of it.

I guess I set the idea of a 115-117? wheelbase.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:32:40 AM by HNORD »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:29 PM »
HNORD, have you been to Bonneville?  I know you are from Sweden and English is not your primary language.... but I recommend a longer build schedule... get and read your rulebook, looking at the classes and rules you think you want to build for.... then attend at least 1 race.  Talk to people running in the class you are thinking about.  Look at the cars... there are a lot to look at... take notes on the ideas you like... but pay attention to the ones you don't like as well.
Roadsters have lots of rules... beyond safety
Lakesters have few rules... beyond safety
Decide the path you want to take, go home and start drawing and building.
Like you said, Sweden is a long way to go... It'll be longer if you can't race
Good luck with the project... ask questions here... some of the answers will be helpful...
Occasionally we forget there are folks all over the world that want to do this  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
HNORD, have you been to Bonneville?  I know you are from Sweden and English is not your primary language.... but I recommend a longer build schedule... get and read your rulebook, looking at the classes and rules you think you want to build for.... then attend at least 1 race.  Talk to people running in the class you are thinking about.  Look at the cars... there are a lot to look at... take notes on the ideas you like... but pay attention to the ones you don't like as well.
Roadsters have lots of rules... beyond safety
Lakesters have few rules... beyond safety
Decide the path you want to take, go home and start drawing and building.
Like you said, Sweden is a long way to go... It'll be longer if you can't race
Good luck with the project... ask questions here... some of the answers will be helpful...
Occasionally we forget there are folks all over the world that want to do this  :cheers:

Good advice!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 04:10:52 PM »
-I started the thread as a 'qurious' and humble question only.
Bonneville this summer sounds nice but not yet planned.
I has try get the rulebook but as recently heard it was a web side issue, but in big I read the Australian rule book and try to ask, but it will be on order.
Only time I went true Boneville was in a rental car I think 1995 after World Finals at Pomona in October, so that was as close I been to the salts.
I like schew on the flathead and I like it less a blower and on gas, and I saw Larry Ericsson's roadster it had a number GR.
As I has been working with engine in pro since the 80's, so I'm not new on engines and racing and my Hemi Cuda in A/SA went to be as fast as the fastest in USA.
I has actually a brand new Hemi for it but I like to do something new.
The roadster I think it's my concept and not a lakester or a streamliner or a traditional street roadster or a MC or a SAAB etc so a GR roadster do fit my ideas.
Concept started as I has been doing dragracing in stock eliminator ( allot of rules and limitation as I like ) for many years and I was get into build a 40's style hot-rod coupe, but my mechanical head started almost direct and that got a conflict in a street 'hot'rod'.
I got so far to a chassie and a 46 engine and was close get a 1932 3W Henry body in LA but jumped off.
I did like build it traditionally and no new stuff but it's complicated and this old rare stuff is no made for throttle hard 2022 ( but they shore is cool to look at )
So right now I'll just try learn landspeed ( my wallet has not yet got smaller so I'll just read, learn )
Ok, I has now actually bought a new 29 roadster body from Brockville and has the idea of the frame, transmission, rearend etc.
But for now, just ideas.
Concerns right now is learn the rules and shew into the engine project as that is my base.
It's my own work and if no racing I can use the roadster on the 32 frame.
But if and when I go over for racing I shore like to has booth my foot steady regards how I did build the car vs rules.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:34:55 AM by HNORD »