Author Topic: Rule questions ex D/GR  (Read 3320 times)

Offline HNORD

• New folks
Rule questions ex D/GR
« on: March 21, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »
Just some curious question.

( I change or limited the question )

I cant see in the rule book a flathead NA on gas ( 305 cu in ) can be in the D/GR class or not.
I do note in that class the body must retain std but a longer wheelbase is Ok as moved driver, belly pan Ok, A-Ford grille size.

I guess no blower is allowed but how about electronic fuel injection in the GR glass ?

How fast has a FH went less blower and on pump gas and with any fuel system on ( any body/class type chassie but not a streamliner )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:33:26 PM by HNORD »

Offline dw230

Re: Rule questions ex D/GR
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 04:53:27 PM »
Looks like XF/GR, unblown Flathead, is in the 165 to 195MPH range depending on modifications. You cannot run a Flathead in class D, there are vintage engine classes for roadsters specifically.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 05:07:18 PM »
Ok,

So if run a FH one can has the the GR type of chassie/rules but engine will be rated as XF ( guess XF means a FH run on pump gas )
Or, is FH just in less modificated body chassies ?
But if at GR class and a FH, is electronic fuel injection allowed ?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »
You're asking outright six completely different very complex questions.  None of us can quote offhand completely accurately any of them.  We all happen to need the Rule Book's correct quote, and I suspect that you have not read it carefully.  Even when you do, you'll have questions to clarify the meanings, but for now, you're way away from having anyone answer them with complete verisimilitude.  This is related only to the SCTA Rule Book, the main one we use when preparing for their events.  Even someone who has been known to add words to a Rule when quoted probably cannot possibly know why a flathead V-8 couldn't run in D Class.  But if one were seeking an SCTA record, that would be almost impossible in the D/Gas Roadster class with one.

Get a Rule Book, read it 3 times and please report back.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:26:08 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »
I found the Australian rule online as I read several times.
I cant see why a FH cant get in D category GR.
I might missed it.
But my main question was - are a FH allowed in GR class and can one use electronic FI.
I do read no FI in vintage class.

I’m new in landspeed so its always just good to humble ask.
I do has 30 years experiance of NHRA stock eliminator to read those rules.
And Yes I know ’some’ rules is hard to answer but some are more easy.
-Just need a little help.

Or can I call a tech or mail tech ?
I did try mail John at tech but the mail did come back.

I’m curious on this racing, so for now just questions.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:36:24 PM by HNORD »

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 08:22:52 PM »
You're asking outright six completely different very complex questions.  None of us can quote offhand completely accurately any of them.  We all happen to need the Rule Book's correct quote, and I suspect that you have not read it carefully.  Even when you do, you'll have questions to clarify the meanings, but for now, you're way away from having anyone answer them with complete verisimilitude.  This is related only to the SCTA Rule Book, the main one we use when preparing for their events.  Even someone who has been known to add words to a Rule when quoted probably cannot possibly know why a flathead V-8 couldn't run in D Class.  But if one were seeking an SCTA record, that would be almost impossible in the D/Gas Roadster class with one.

Get a Rule Book, read it 3 times and please report back.   

Speedweek 2021 I wanted to put a flathead vintage engine class based on size in the D class my request was denied. Our record with the flathead is faster than the current D sized class record.  Our top speed was just over 219 with the vintage engine.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:30:05 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 08:25:47 PM »
Looks like XF/GR, unblown Flathead, is in the 165 to 195MPH range depending on modifications. You cannot run a Flathead in class D, there are vintage engine classes for roadsters specifically.

DW

If a competitor enters a French flathead block {not legal in vintage engine class} that's a D size then it must be legal to run D class would it not?
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 08:27:19 PM »
Next time use a French block.  Whoops -- just saw I was 2 minutes late with this!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:29:49 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:59:50 PM »
Just because it's not legal for one class doesn't automatically make it legal for the other.  :dhorse:
Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
There you go!

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 05:23:31 AM »
Where in the rule book can one read that a FH cant be at D category.
Has organisation own rules outside the rule book ?
I can read for Ford FH its are a vintage class and more street roadsters body.
But if not in D/GR  ( US block )  can it be done by run FX/GR.
Is that correct ?
Does that mean chassie will be at GR rules but engine vintage and on gas, no blower no electronic fuel injection.

Ronnie.
Thats a Fast FH at 219.
You was in a class rear engine ( not GR ) and came with a vintage rule FH ( on gas, use a blower but no electronic FI ) and was denied as a D category.
On what course was it wrong according to rule book.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 05:56:37 AM by HNORD »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 09:27:39 AM »
SCTA Rule Book says...

1.B CLASSIFICATION:
It is the responsibility of the owner and/or driver to enter a vehicle in its proper class. However, a vehicle is subject to class verification by the SCTA Contest Board at any
time. THE SCTA CONTEST BOARD WILL NOT RECLASSIFY
A VEHICLE ENTERED IN THE WRONG CLASS. ALL VEHICLES WILL RUN ONLY IN THE LOWEST PRIMARY CLASS/
CATEGORY FOR WHICH THEY ARE LEGAL.
IF A VEHICLE
IS NOT LEGAL FOR A SPECIFIC CLASS, IT MAY NOT NECESSARILY BE LEGAL FOR ANOTHER CLASS. THE VEHICLE
SHALL MEET ALL CLASS REQUIREMENTS TO BE LEGAL FOR
COMPETITION. ONCE A VEHICLE HAS LEFT THE STARTING
LINE, THE ENTRY NAME AND CLASSIFICATION INFORMATION WILL NOT BE CHANGED.
If an appropriate class exists, a vehicle shall run in that
class.
Any vehicle which is not legal for any class, but meets
all technical regulations, may be allowed to run for "Time
Only".
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 12:11:05 PM »
Thank's.
Yes I understand it, its up to board.
But I guess I can use a USA made FH in XF/GR class and go max 325 cu in and no blower, no electronic fuel injection.
Is that correct ?

Offline HNORD

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
On body modifications ( GR class )
If use a 29 roadster, can one remove firewall section infront of window ?
I seen pictures when a new hood is made ( slimmer and start at front window of body )
But I saw on Larry Erickson D/GR roadster he still had the cowld section under the new made hood.

I found this for the GR body on the Australian rules ( guess its the same as the US )

One more question ; I read that a belly pan is not allowed in GR class, in what roadster class is that allowed in ?

5.B.2 Fuel-Gas Roadster - /BFR, /FR, /BGR, /GR
The body at the original windshield line may be re-contoured to a flatter configuration, so long as the body contour is not lower than the top of the doors and the distance between the bottom of the frame and body contour, measured at the original windshield line, is not less than 71.76 cm (28-1/4 in.). Flat panels may cover grille openings. Door hinges, windshield posts, filler caps, and brackets may be removed. The configuration of the bodywork between the original windshield line and the grille shell is optional, as long as the overall length of the car, from the front of the grille shell to the rear of the body, with any grille shell, is no greater than 363.22 cm (143 in.)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:45:36 PM by HNORD »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 01:05:26 PM »
OK... where are you going to race?  If at Bonneville, you need to get the SCTA rulebook.  The rules are similar but I wouldn't start a project without a rulebook. 
Just because a picture shows something does not mean it is legal... the only time your vehicle is inspected for class certification is if you get in record impound.  The tech inspectors are safety inspectors, they may tell you something on your vehicle is not class legal, but generally not....
Get a rulebook, even if it is a year old there are very few changes in roadster legal bodys. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O