Author Topic: Water Tank Pressure  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Water Tank Pressure
« on: March 18, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
Were using water tanks in our rear engine modified roadster to cool our flathead Ford V-8 engine at Speedweek. There's no outside air cooling of the tanks since the area where they are located eliminates outside air as much as possible from getting in. The three water tanks are aluminum overall just squared corners with no round areas we don't run any pressure in the tanks. The two water pumps I use are made by Jabsco testing flow in the system each pump moves 10.3 GPM the capacity of our cooling system with all tanks is 35 gallons. The weight of the water and the tank locations help with the CP/CG of the car.  I understand having a pressurized cooling system would be a good idea. But I'm not sure the square type tanks will handle pressure very well I'm wondering if only a pound or two of pressure would be worth the effort. Anyone have any thoughts?
 Ronnieroadster 
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jl222

Re: Water Tank Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »

We don't pressurize our tank in the 222 car and only have one Jabsco pump about same amount of water with no cooling problems in fact we have to restrict it.

Years ago a cylinder head torched into the water jacket and blew the welds apart in the water tank. More pressure
than 1 or 2 lbs though.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:32:10 PM »
We run a radiator in a box --28 PSI in a 2 pass eng coolant radiator ZERO in the box where the radiator coolant. The box water we run water opposite directions in a 2 pass through  the coolant radiator.  you want as much pressure as you can on the eng coolant.  YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 06:55:18 PM »
I run the same setup as Sparky above. Always been great but apparently my radiator decided to form a leak over the winter and so time to rebuild it.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »
Ronnie, we use a Meziere belt drive pump, at 8000 rpm I'm putting 45psi at 75gpm into a SBC, the restriction is at the head to intake mating surface.
26 gallon squared edge SS tank w/ one 3/8" vent hole no pressure in tank at all.
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input I now have some more thinking to do.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"