Author Topic: ECU O2 sensor contamination.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

ECU O2 sensor contamination.
« on: March 14, 2022, 11:41:06 PM »
Does anybody have experience with sensor contamination on a short pipe post turbo?
My post turbo pipes are 5-1/2" dia but only 5" long on the short side so I figure the O2 probably isn't going to get a clean read at low exhaust velocity. My thought is to build a scoop-baffle-thing to feed it & protect it from the outside air.
What's your experience & or thoughts??
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: ECU O2 sensor contamination.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 05:21:53 PM »
Sid,
Why do you care? Low exhaust velocity means (to me anyhow) that the turbo is not on boost, the engine speed is low, so you want to know the O2 when you are in the pits? Also if the sensor is on the outlet of the turbo I would think that all of the gases would be pretty well mixed from the spinning hot wheel.

Rex                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 06:05:47 PM »
Sid,
  Can you hang an extension?
Read the O2 and compare to no extension.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 11:10:55 PM »
 The pipes are laid back pretty steep so the opening on the 5-1/2" pipe is 18" long & there's an aerodynamic diffuser fence on the outside of the pipe to prevent the exhaust from detaching the boundary layer off the body so any sort of extension is out of the question. These go out the sides by the way, there just isn't enough car to go anywhere else with this much stuff.
 My concern isn't in the pits, it's getting the thing on boost at low speed & having the O2 sensor along for the party to ensure that happens.
I built headers with an O2 bung in the collector to allow me to run N/A in the future if I decide to but I haven't been able to find any info online if that's even an option to have the O2 sensor "pre" turbo.
Anybody have an opinion on that?
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 11:25:02 PM »
Sid, I think 02 before the turbo might require a pressure compensation.... I've read a couple of articles on that, but I can't point you to them.  I read after the turbo... but the sensor is 18 inches from the end of the pipe. 
So it is what it is... all you can do is run it and see what happens....
Are you running it closed loop or just data recording.
Can't wait to see it on the salt... although a couple of pics every now and then would be good  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 02:15:53 AM »
I've never been able to post pics.  :dhorse:
The Racepak is logging EGT's, the O2 sensor is for the ignition & EFI.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »
Over past nearly 20 years of running a motorcycle dyno, I've got pretty good at reading AFR when there is inversion happing at low speeds.  You read the "dips" not the peaks.  If I was doing this, I would consider running an EGT inconjuction with a WB02.