Author Topic: Early V-8 Ford U-Joint  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Stan Back

Early V-8 Ford U-Joint
« on: March 13, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
Anybody got a pretty good estimate of how many H.P. one with 5? or 10? angle would take at say 5000 RPM?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:46:12 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

Re: Early V-8 Ford U-Joint
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »
. . . common, I won't hold you to it.  Something you've heard, a wild guess, whatever.  They gotta take something and the increase of angle might increase the loss.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
Are you asking if the clutch is side stepped at 5000 RPM? The few small block powered hot rods I recall still using that six spline early Ford U joint combination were only putting out less than 400 ponies. The failure experienced was the drive shaft it broke easily the u joint stayed together.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 05:28:40 PM »
Thanx, Ronnie.  I'm just trying to get a HP loss (if any) using one.  And if the loss is greater with increased angle.

(On a side note, on my roadster when it was a street car, I never broke one.  I broke almost everything else, but I think with the Hydro (modified) and 30 lbs. of air in the 8.20s, no non-sliding shocks were hard to come by.

Stan 

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 07:02:52 PM »
Thanx, Woody!

My steam-powered Mac this year has decided that it can't open certain documents to my dismay.  That is one of them. My machine says my clock is not right.  I've tried to fix it to no avail.  I'm thinking of hanging around the junior highs to find someone who knows what this means and can fix it, but don't want to be picked up on any related charges.

May haps could you paraphrase it for me?  I won't hold you to it.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »
Stan:  Woody?s article said nothing about power loss and nothing else on that website dealt with it either.  Mostly discussions of advisable/permissible operating angles.
At 5 degrees, I would guess not enough power loss to be concerned about?probably comparable to windage of the drive tube.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »
Stan, technically anything with bearings has a HP loss but this is not worth trying to calculate, IMHO!
Will it take the torque at a certain RPM, angle & load?
This means spike loads not just constant loads the supplier specifies. {Think changing loads with traction control on the Speed Demon!  :evil:}
To Ronnie's point the driveshaft has to be better material or heavier wall or attached better, etc.
Hot Rodding 101 - if it breaks - reinforce part A until part B breaks - then reinforce part B - until $$ run out!  :?
Most driveshaft folks don't want more than 7 degrees but more can be tolerated with some vibrations & shorter life. Don't forget any pinion wrap-up with your suspension.
Looks like I paraphrased a bit more than I.O.  :roll:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 12:32:44 PM »
Thanx to both of you!