Author Topic: Salt Flats sure look muddy  (Read 2187 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Salt Flats sure look muddy
« on: March 08, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »
Photo from today's salt flats camera. I don't know if it is the lighting or not. It sure looks like lots of mud, not salt.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Salt Flats sure look muddy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »
Naw  Don I think mother nature just has it "blacklit" 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 09:21:42 PM »
With the crust being so thin & the moisture content so high, it is translucent allowing the color of the brine dirt to be seen.
  Sid.

Offline TD

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
I'm planning to be in the area on Tuesday.  I'll try to take a couple of photos from the end of Speedway Road and post them if that would be of interest.

Tim

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 11:30:09 AM »
. . . and, I'm sure, the rail cars keep moving.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »
Always interesting Tim!

Especially seeing as those of us north of the border might be able to get down there this year.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 05:01:25 PM »
Pete, you should be in the clear... but if all else fails, find a friend with a semi... I think those are starting to run unencumbered....
If you were crossing the other border they would probably put you on a plane to Salt Lake  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »
Actually I think we're in the clear as long as we're fully vaccinated which I am. I'll just have to see if I can get a mortgage on my house so I can afford the gasoline!!!  :x :x

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »
Pete, Friday we're going to the bank to close on a loan for a full tank of gas for both my trucks... they each hold 34 gallons...  :?
At least I know I can't count on Social Security to buy race parts any more... I have to use that to buy gas...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TD

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »
Visited the flats on Monday and Tuesday on my way to / from Wendover to check out the army airfield.

At the rest stop on I-80W the salt to the north looked solid.  There were largish pickup trucks parked on the salt some distance out - 1/2 mile maybe? - not sure how they got there.

At the end of the road there was standing water to the north, east, and south.

The Great Salt Lake looked exceptionally low, consistent with the idea of a historic drought in progress.

It was great to finally visit a place I'd been interested in since I was a kid, even if no one was racing at that moment.    Hopefully I'll make it back out there.  As you guys know, there's A Lot of Nothing between Toole and Wendover!

Forgot to mention:  Had some dinner at the Salt Flats Cafe.  Some great history in there.  Food was good, service was good, the decor could be a bit better!

Hope that helps.   :cheers:

Tim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:20:39 PM by TD »

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 11:42:54 PM »
Hey Pete
If you make it down. Don?t forget to stop by the pit.

Ted
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 11:02:58 AM »
Visited the flats on Monday and Tuesday on my way to / from Wendover to check out the army airfield.

At the rest stop on I-80W the salt to the north looked solid.  There were largish pickup trucks parked on the salt some distance out - 1/2 mile maybe? - not sure how they got there.

At the end of the road there was standing water to the north, east, and south.

The Great Salt Lake looked exceptionally low, consistent with the idea of a historic drought in progress.

It was great to finally visit a place I'd been interested in since I was a kid, even if no one was racing at that moment.    Hopefully I'll make it back out there.  As you guys know, there's A Lot of Nothing between Toole and Wendover!

Forgot to mention:  Had some dinner at the Salt Flats Cafe.  Some great history in there.  Food was good, service was good, the decor could be a bit better!

Hope that helps.   :cheers:

Tim
The salt you see from the I-80 rest stop is not the same as the racing area. It's the old mining sight that is inside the dyke & has a lower base level than everything outside the dyke. About 20-ish years ago the BLM knocked a couple of gaps in the berm to allow salt to flow through it on it's way to the mining ponds allowing it to build a substantial crust. You can drive right on to it from the rest stop without fear of breaking through the crust. I cut some core samples there back in 2015 & shot a level on it, the crust was 6 to 8" deep & the surface was still 4" lower than the rest. I believe the BLM's intension was to create a solid show piece for Joe Public. The "unofficial" story I got from my "unofficial" contact at Intrepid was that high water washed out a low section of the berm so they went over to fix it but the BLM requested they dig it out & add two more.
  Sid.