Author Topic: Looking for a decent CFD "wind tunnel" program  (Read 2587 times)

Offline bubruins

Re: Looking for a decent CFD "wind tunnel" program
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 07:05:52 PM »
I've played with airshaper and there's some information about it on my build thread Midship Runabout 1 - lakester. Basically - it's hard. The scanned models will have many holes in them that have to be repaired. Automation is helping things. Airshaper does seem to give drag and lift numbers within the realm of reason and you can guess if the changes you're making are helping or hurting. There are several restrictions within airshaper that you have to work around. Ex: intake and exhaust gases. It's fun to play with. My goal is to at least get to a couple of quick configurations I can test in a 1:1 wind tunnel in NC by using CFD and have enough of the general shape right that the whole car won't have to be rebuilt.

Offline deanroberts

• New folks
Re: Looking for a decent CFD "wind tunnel" program
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2023, 02:06:12 PM »
What a nice surprise to see this thread pop up again. It's good to hear what others are doing.   Me?  I'm in the process of prioritizing 10 shapes to evaluate in the f :cheers:ree version of SimScale.  That may satisfy my curiosities,  but I doubt it. But based on what I learn from those runs I expect I'll have a much better idea where I wat to go next.  I'll give you an update then. In the meantime,  good luck with whatever you're working on.