Author Topic: Airplane Engine on a motorcycle?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Airplane Engine on a motorcycle?
« on: February 28, 2022, 11:08:15 PM »
Ride Motion in Australia says they are coming to Speedweek with a bike powered by an aircraft engine. At first, I said "no way" thinking that motorcycles engines were required on motorcycles. On reading the rule book however, I can't find that to be true. Anyone know differently? The AMA events like BMST DO require motorcycle engines. Here is the article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/ride-motion-s-creation-could-be-the-quirkiest-three-cylinder-bike-out-there/ar-AAUrq4P?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Airplane Engine on a motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
As someone much smarter than me might have said "if it's an engine powering a motorcycle then it's a motorcycle engine".

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
Well it obviously falls in Special Construction (A).... it's a one of  kind race bike.... I hope they make it to SpeedWeek.  It certainly looks like a cool project. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 12:16:13 PM »
2021 SCTA rule book, page 143.

7.J.12
Any reciprocating non-motorcycle engine which uses the Otto cycle may run in Streamliner and Sidecar Streamliner classes only. Supercharged engines do not advance class size.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »
that looks like a variant of the Moto Guzzi motor used in Israeli drones. If so, maybe motorcycle roots could be claimed. Given that frame, certainly A/special.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
Speedy Babs ran a 2-stroke opposed 4 cylinder drone engine in 1970 or so

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 11:48:38 PM »
That's a cool engine, I'd be interested in one of those for my gyrocopter. Rotech Radial engines are in Adelaide, I wonder if this engine is coming from them!
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 04:20:46 AM »
It's an Australian Build, and was planning to be running this year at DLRA speed week
Matt Sheppard and Mat Kennedy who have previously run a BSA
As far as I know, there is nothing in the DLRA rule book that excludes it from special construction
https://www.radialmotion.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/sheppardmotorcycles/
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
Well it looks built for universal application.... in all types of vehicles... an argument could be made that it is an experimental motorcycle engine... in a one off racing bike... If they decided they could build an sell 50 it could then run in Modified!
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
Bike looks wicked cool. If I were them, I'd check in with SCTA tech to be sure before shipping it from Oz. I get the sense that that engine was built for aircraft, and this might be the first time it will be used for a land vehicle? Kinda hard to argue it's multipurpose, if that's the case.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 11:17:20 AM »
I don't know... looking at Sid's link the engine builder has it configured for multi-use... installed in cars, 4 wheelers, trikes.... and I guess some drones...  :naughty
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
Sure, they could make that argument, but I'd be worried that the SCTA folks would consider it a 'non-motorcycle engine', and not allow it in a sit-on class.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 03:51:34 PM »
The original intent of my question when posting this was where in the SCTA rule book does it say motorcycle engines are required on motorcycles? Speed reading through the motorcycle section did not show where that is overtly stated. I know that in streamliner M/Cs you can use any engine. The AMA rule book clearly states that motorcycle engines are required in all classes (except for diesel, solar/electric and "other").

Does the SCTA rulebook specifically state M/C engines are required?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline salt27

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »
The original intent of my question when posting this was where in the SCTA rule book does it say motorcycle engines are required on motorcycles? Speed reading through the motorcycle section did not show where that is overtly stated. I know that in streamliner M/Cs you can use any engine. The AMA rule book clearly states that motorcycle engines are required in all classes (except for diesel, solar/electric and "other").

Does the SCTA rulebook specifically state M/C engines are required?

Don

2021 SCTA rule book, page 143.

7.J.12
Any reciprocating non-motorcycle engine which uses the Otto cycle may run in Streamliner and Sidecar Streamliner classes ONLY.

Don, The word "only" at the end of the first sentence under 7.J.12 makes it pretty clear to me.

Wasn't there some kind of issue with the "Boss Hoss" bikes and the small block Chevy?                                                                                                                                                                                         

Don
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:32:10 AM by salt27 »