Author Topic: Rookie Questions  (Read 1340 times)

Offline roblebel

• New folks
Rookie Questions
« on: January 12, 2022, 02:16:54 PM »
Hi Folks,

2022 will be my first year on the salt and I have a few questions for the vets.

1. When does registration normally open? I have my 2022 membership all taken care of but haven't actually registered for the event.
2. When will the fuel provider be announced and the specifics of what fuel is available? I don't see it in the rule book or on the website and want to be proactive when preparing my car to dyno on the appropriate fuel.
3. Is there typically a nitrous bottle filler on the salt? Or will I need to plan on brining enough for the whole week?
4. Who is the best point of contact for tech before arriving? my car has run there before but I'd like to check with someone that the whole car is legal before showing up.

Cheers all, and thanks in advance! :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Rookie Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »
1: 

2:  VP Fuels has been there for the past 2 or three years and will be again, I believe.  I 'll see if I can find the list of what they have available and post it.

3:  No, there is seldom a nitrous vendor out there.  Make plans, which might include checking with other racers to see if someone will have a mother bottle to share with you.

4:  Have you got a copy of the car inspection sheet?  It's available at scta-bni.org/scta.racing.info  Scroll down a bit and you'll see the "download pdf" Tech Inspection Form Car button.  That might help you.  All of the contact info for all of the officials is listed in the rulebook.  Take a look for the dude in charge of the aspects about which you're concerned.

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline roblebel

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »
Thanks Jon,

I have the inspection sheet, I've just heard of "surprises" when arriving there and the officials want you to change something that may not have been an issue the previous year or noted in the rulebook. I was hoping to avoid any such surprises.

Appreciate the incite!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
I see that you're from Atlanta.  If you have any Bonneville programs on hand, or know someone who has them, it might be helpful to check the entries for anyone from your area -- and maybe in your category.  They could be a real helpful contact to answer your questions and help you with things you might have not considered.  Those of us in Southern California have the luxury of so many people involved -- you know it is the Southern California Timing Association.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 06:51:17 PM »
Rob... running a J Gas Lakester and possibly sounds like J Fuel Lakester... Did you get a log book with the car? 
Lakesters are pretty simple for class rules so the only thing you need to worry are the safety rules. 
It has not been at the salt for a while... does it have a 360 cage in it that complies with the over 175 rules? Inner liner or bars that keep all your parts inside the cage. Seems like it's last record was under 175... but I can't remember. 
Is it Long Course qualified... does it have a chute
Belts are current
Does it have an inertia switch
Does your car have a chain guard... to ensure it can't come loose and whip through a fuel line.
If you are going to run fuel:
is there a hardline vent to the outside on the N20 valve
Is there a fresh air vent for the driver
Do the wheels, tires and lug nuts meet the over 200 rules
Does the fire system meet the over 200 rules
N20 is considered a fuel... needs to have a shutoff controlled by the driver...

What I'm saying is cars that complied and passed 5 years ago won't always pass now.  Go through the car reading the rule book and checking the inspection form.

There should not be any surprise rules... some inspectors have their pet peeves but so far they are all in the rule book.... subject to interpretation  :roll:
Take pictures and keep asking questions... everybody here has been a rookie...  :cheers:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline roblebel

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »
@stainless1, thanks for the reply. For the most part I'm on top of the things you've mentioned.

Is it Long Course qualified... does it have a chute It is not, but it does have a chute, long course qual is one of my goals for this year
Belts are current Not at the moment but its already on my list before coming
Does it have an inertia switch yes
Does your car have a chain guard... to ensure it can't come loose and whip through a fuel line. yes
If you are going to run fuel: I was of the impression that no2 put the car into the blown category, does it rather put it our o f gas and into fuel?
is there a hardline vent to the outside on the N20 valve not yet because the no2 is not installed yet, but it is in the plans per the rulebook
Is there a fresh air vent for the driver yes
Do the wheels, tires and lug nuts meet the over 200 rules yes
Does the fire system meet the over 200 rules yes
N20 is considered a fuel... needs to have a shutoff controlled by the driver... back to my statement above, also, electric cutoffs are acceptable? Like most off the shelf kits have?

I've worked in racing for years, this is just my first time in landspeed racing. I appreciate the thorough overview from everyone, and most of the issue is really in my fear of the unknown from people who have run with the SCTA.... but were likely less prepared, so their stories should probably not bother me...  :dhorse:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Rob... yep N20 definitely puts you in fuel... as would alcohol, E85, Nitro and non spec gas. 
Yes an electric solenoid at the tank meets the requirement... be sure the inertia switch shuts it down too. 
Using a turbo or supercharger puts you in blown class. 
If you got the log book with it you should be able to avoid new car inspection... otherwise you will need to buy and start a new log book. 
Long course qualification is by class... if you qualified in gas, you will still have to qualify in fuel.   
Hopefully you have a 21 rule book to work from.... it might be a while till the 22 is out.  If you already joined the BNI then you are in line for a book and notification when registration is open for SpeedWeek. 
Inspection usually starts 2 days before the races.... and continues through the week.
Sounds like you should arrive well prepared... Ask questions, you should be able to find answers here.... although the answers here are not official, they are based on experience.
If you ask something that needs an official answer we generally will refer you to the tech chair.
See you on the salt  8-)  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 11:48:29 AM »
If you have the log book, it might simplify keeping the old number -- if the previous owner will give it to you.  Or you can claim it if it's not been used for 3 (?) years.  Call the SCTA office for procedures, they're always helpful.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 01:46:53 AM »
That was Randy Motooka & Jeff Arnswald's lakester out of Boise, it held the J/GL record at 172mph at one time. I drove it a few years ago, it was a nice little car & it probably still has one of my yellow chutes on it.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »
Yep, that's the car I thought it was.... don't remember seeing it out there after 17, but maybe it was and I didn't see it.  His number was on the list last year but didn't know if he reclaimed it or let it go... hopefully for Rob's sake he kept it. 
Stainless