Author Topic: Streamliner?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Streamliner?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »
Sid... you're a bad man.... Once you start into the utube rabbit hole it is hard to escape... but after a couple of hours....  :?
But one of the vids that jumped in was the 3rd World of Speed in 1989... an invitational event for 200+ MPH capable cars.  I figure we've now hit the end of Golden Arrow glory, so in Landracing.com tradition I'm throwing in a misdirection....  :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekb4YI9UMfs

No use in getting out of the chair for an hour anyway.... Oh you might notice the BLM knew the strip mining was killing the flats... and the racers were trying to save the salt!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 11:53:14 PM »
Malcolm- thanks for the info. I confess to illiteracy regarding W or VV engines.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 12:40:21 AM »
Sid... you're a bad man.... Once you start into the utube rabbit hole it is hard to escape... but after a couple of hours....  :?
But one of the vids that jumped in was the 3rd World of Speed in 1989... an invitational event for 200+ MPH capable cars.  I figure we've now hit the end of Golden Arrow glory, so in Landracing.com tradition I'm throwing in a misdirection....  :roll:

No use in getting out of the chair for an hour anyway.... Oh you might notice the BLM knew the strip mining was killing the flats... and the racers were trying to save the salt!
Greg Morgan from the BLM was a racing enthusiast & was always at the meet's back then but from what I understand he came under pressure from within the BLM due his honest statements on the salt loss situation & he eventually resigned.
That was my 6th race meeting at Bonneville.
  Sid.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 03:32:21 PM »

Having been led (willingly) astray, I have some questions about the 1989 WoS.  I figure many of you reading this will have first hand memories of the event, although if you are anything like me you have probably forgotten more than you can remember from 30+ years ago ...

1.  The course was 11 miles long with the measured mile and km in the middle.  Does this indicate racers were going for international (FIA) records?  If so, were any FIA records set at the meet?

2.  I think I understand this was a time when Nolan White and Al Teague were intense competitors.  Were they in the same class (probably FS/A in SCTA terms)?

3.  The video quotes Nolan as going 388 mph and Al 392.9 mph.  Were these both one way passes (i.e. not official records)?

4.  Rick Vesco features quite a lot as the expert being asked dumb questions, and says Al Teague's run was the fastest (wheel-driven) for 23 years.  Does he mean the fastest since the Summers Bros in 1965?

5.  Tim Schulz in the Speedway Motors streamliner set a GS/D record, beating his own record set first time out at the same year's Speed Week.  But who previously held the GS/D record, and at what speed?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 07:55:54 PM »
My memory is not one to rely on, but...
1.  I think this was a Bonneville Land Speed Authority (LSA) and USFRA sanctioned event... not a SCTA or FIA
2. I think Nolan ran 2 motors and gas, Al ran Fuel... there were no blown classes then
3. You would have to look in Bonneville LSA records... at the time USFRA records and SCTA records were also separate.  I thought USFRA normally ran 4 to the trap... The streamliners were allowed to start 1 mile back
4. I think that is what Rick was saying... timing is about right
5.  My guess is Rick Vesco at 237.7

OK folkers with better memories than mine jump in here...
We we had knocked on the 190 door and became the first "smaller than F" lakester to run on the long course at Speedweek that year... that is how we got invited... that and we were friends with the Burkdoll's  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »
Thanks for posting the links, excellent stuff.  :cheers:

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 05:34:45 AM »
Thanks Stainless.  Your willingness to engage with my questions is appreciated.

I did notice the Bockscar in the video, but maybe you were not interviewed?

My memory is not one to rely on, but...
1.  I think this was a Bonneville Land Speed Authority (LSA) and USFRA sanctioned event... not a SCTA or FIA
LSA would be consistent with the long course and timing of mile and km.  It seems LSA was trying to take over from the FIA for "international" records.  But the organisation didn't last long?

2. I think Nolan ran 2 motors and gas, Al ran Fuel... there were no blown classes then
Difficult to find reliable information about Nolan.  He appears not to have been much of a self-publicist.  When I previously looked, it seemed he ran a single motor up to at least 1990 and was running 2 motors in 1999, but no idea when he actually made the change.

3. You would have to look in Bonneville LSA records... at the time USFRA records and SCTA records were also separate.  I thought USFRA normally ran 4 to the trap... The streamliners were allowed to start 1 mile back
Ho ho.  LSA ceased to exist about 1997?  They certainly have no obvious internet presence.  Who publishes the historic LSA records?  :dhorse:

4. I think that is what Rick was saying... timing is about right
Agreed.  I wasn't sure whether anyone else was making fast runs in '66 or '67. (Mickey Thompson?)

5.  My guess is Rick Vesco at 237.7

OK folkers with better memories than mine jump in here...
We we had knocked on the 190 door and became the first "smaller than F" lakester to run on the long course at Speedweek that year... that is how we got invited... that and we were friends with the Burkdoll's  :roll:
 :cheers:
I have previously observed that it is very difficult to work out who did what in the 1980's and 1990's.  My interest is the fastest streamliners (which means mainly Nolan, Al and Don Vesco in this period) so if anyone has reliable information they are willing to share please let us know.  If you prefer not to post openly you can PM me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 12:19:41 PM by TrickyDicky »