Author Topic: Aerodynamics books  (Read 1352 times)

Offline jdolecki

• New folks
Aerodynamics books
« on: December 22, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
Just read ? Race Car Aerodynamics, Designing for speed? by Joseph Katz.

Can anyone recommend something more current?

Thanks John

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: Aerodynamics books
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 10:36:40 PM »
Competition Car Aerodynamics, 3rd Edition Simon McBeath
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Aerodynamics books
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 06:05:51 PM »
I have a number of "aero" books that I have read, at least partially, and use as reference when looking at aero designs.

My favorite aero book is, The Leading Edge, by Goro Tamai. Pretty technical and it is about aero design for solar racing cars. I get a lot of gaff about this because solar race cars normally don't exceed 50-60 mph but almost every thing in the book can be applied to Bonneville cars, especially if you are not trying to go over 400 mph. I think you can still get it on Amazon.

"Personal Aircraft Drag Reduction" by Bruce Carmichael. This book is about reducing drag by designing for laminar air flow, which is the lowest drag air flow condition. Lots of research and development information regarding low drag aircraft but if you are designing a car for speeds under 400 mph it is all very applicable. The experimental aircraft guys and formula racers make a lot of effort to maintain laminar flow and they are building planes that go over 320 mph with 120 hp! so they must be doing something right. I bought my book directly from Bruce but I am not sure if they are available now.

"Fluid-Dynamic Drag" by Dr-Ing S.F. Horner. Another book mostly about aircraft aero but very complete and understandable. You will find that Horner is referenced in almost every aero book available, including the ones above and also McBeath's books. I down loaded my copy from the internet about 10 years ago and would bet if you searched enough you could still find it.

Have fun.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.